Raleigh Equipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Just managed to pick this up on eBay for what feels like a very good price.

Same model I had as a schoolboy in the 1980s - I loved that bike and regretted getting rid of it (sadly for a crude, catalogue MTB - the folly of youth).

Can't wait to pick it up! Only fault listed is that the seat post is stuck, so I may be after some advice if WD-40 Penetrant and brute force let me down!
Screenshot_20180308-190839.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't forget some cheap coke.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Reckon you did OK with that for £33. I had an all-steel Raleigh Arena when I was a youngster, but I outgrew it so it was replaced by a larger 3 speed roadster to ride to work on before I was old enough to drive a car.
Go easy with the seatpost removal and try to avoid drastic methods that do damage. Even if it takes a few weeks of repeated spraying, it's better to just use penetrating fluid rather than anything corrosive. Get a decent size rubber mallet and you can clout the top part of the seat tube to help break the seal without marking the frame like you would with a steel hammer. Patience is a virtue when it comes to unsticking stuck things. Give it plenty of time and don't get silly with it unless all else fails.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Reckon you did OK with that for £33. I had an all-steel Raleigh Arena when I was a youngster, but I outgrew it so it was replaced by a larger 3 speed roadster to ride to work on before I was old enough to drive a car.
Go easy with the seatpost removal and try to avoid drastic methods that do damage. Even if it takes a few weeks of repeated spraying, it's better to just use penetrating fluid rather than anything corrosive. Get a decent size rubber mallet and you can clout the top part of the seat tube to help break the seal without marking the frame like you would with a steel hammer. Patience is a virtue when it comes to unsticking stuck things. Give it plenty of time and don't get silly with it unless all else fails.

Helpful advice - thank you. :okay:

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Eventually got the seatpost out. "Shorty" mudguards fitted, brakes and gears adjusted, bottom bracket bearings regreased and we were good to go.

Shakedown ride to the beach went well - nothing fell off! Bit of a rattle from the front mudguard but a discreet piece of packing fixed that. Overall, pretty pleased with it!
20180526_125021.jpg
20180526_131514.jpg

Top Bottom