Raleigh Gemini De Ville CTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just bought this last week for the princEly sum of £50.

Not exactly cheap but I wanted a sort of tourer and to try a steel frame.

I was thinking of doing a lot of upgrades and putting some modern gears and v brakes on.

First ride out, just over 30 miles - I wasn’t even sure it’d make it round the block!

it’s great, on 38c tyres and somshow lively steel frame, it’s by no means slow, I woul£nt say much slower than my road bike.

3 essential though - a saddle, some bars, better tyres, the front end is really squirmy (I’m sure it’s the tyre.

I could upgrade the gears. It’s 7 speed, triple. Equally, I could put v brakes on and I’m sure both would be slightly better. I’m just 2ondering though #hould I keep it as original as poss?

it’s more upright than my road bike so I’m wondering if a road bike saddle would work? Any suggestion for a fairly upright touring style saddle?

What about bars? I want it for touring and I don’t want the expense of STI shifters so not drops. I thought about some trekking bars or some of those new riser/h-bars.

Tyres, I’m undecided between Marathons or G- One’s. Any reccomendations?

Overall though, great bike😀😀😀

Attachments

• F683EE07-A6C9-449E-8371-850F611EBCD7.jpeg
    F683EE07-A6C9-449E-8371-850F611EBCD7.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 43
Megabargain!

For tyres, have a look at Spa Cycles. They often have special offers this time of year.

If it works, no need to upgrade. Just replace things as they wear out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good buy. I’d change just the bars/stem for something narrower/lower, you might find this cures the ‘squirminess’. As for gears, fine as they are. Tyres look like they could be Schwalbe of some flavour in which case unless perished should be okay until worn out. Cantis are pretty effective. I'd say change all cables and service the BB and you’re done.
Put the money saved towards a new phone with a better camera :smile:

Last edited:

Wildrover

I've had my Gemini 18 for a very long time. Yesterday I fitted original Michelin World Tour tyres. Now looking for new original gear selectors. Anyone have a rear original carrier?

6EB8DE24-A13D-495B-B8E4-8AEE77842488.jpeg

All uphill

Still rolling along
I put V brakes and dropbars on a similar bike, using Tektro brake levers and bar end shifters. It made the reach a lot longer and generally was a fun thing to do; I've since gone back to flat bars - they just seem to be suited to the relaxed and comfortable ride.

Enjoy your bike!

Top Bottom