My 1988 Raleigh Gemini winter bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Lewis%20Carroll_zpsrosqotxo.jpg

After taking the bike apart and rebuilding it, I've been using this 1988 Raleigh Gemini as a winter bike, riding it 2-3 times a week on 30-80 miles rides, it works well. Originally, it was a hybrid like this one below.

$_86.JPG

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@GuyBoden that looks like a decent ride to me no matter what the season is

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
After taking the bike apart and rebuilding it, I've been using this 1988 Raleigh Gemini as a winter bike, riding it 2-3 times a week on 30-80 miles rides, it works well. Originally, it was a hybrid like this one below.

View attachment 329191

I seem to have joined the 531 club myself. Stuck a cheeky low bid on a Gemini 18 in the last few minutes of the auction. No-one else bid at all, so with a few pennies change left over from £20 I've now got a filthy dusty example in an unusual 22 1/2" frame size (I'd prefer 23 1/2" but beggars can't be choosers!) that looks original right down to the Michelin World Tour 35mm front tyre. I can't be arsed with hand cleaning badly soiled bikes so it's still in the back of my motor and I'm just off to use the wash facilities at work to get the couple of decades worth of storage filth off it so I can see it properly and touch it without getting black hands. The Raleigh catalogue blurb suggests the Gemini was built using the main tubes from a Reynolds 531ST tube set, as it has "touring" geometry. It feels impressively light in weight, can pick it up with one finger, maybe even a pound or so less than my 501 framed Pioneer. The seller also had a 23" Halfords Apollo that no-one had bid on, and when I lifted that up to compare it's weight to the Gemini, it felt like a tank. It certainly wasn't a one-finger lift!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I seem to have joined the 531 club myself. Stuck a cheeky low bid on a Gemini 18 in the last few minutes of the auction. No-one else bid at all, so with a few pennies change left over from £20 I've now got a filthy dusty example in an unusual 22 1/2" frame size (I'd prefer 23 1/2" but beggars can't be choosers!) that looks original right down to the Michelin World Tour 35mm front tyre. I can't be arsed with hand cleaning badly soiled bikes so it's still in the back of my motor and I'm just off to use the wash facilities at work to get the couple of decades worth of storage filth off it so I can see it properly and touch it without getting black hands. The Raleigh catalogue blurb suggests the Gemini was built using the main tubes from a Reynolds 531ST tube set, as it has "touring" geometry. It feels impressively light in weight, can pick it up with one finger, maybe even a pound or so less than my 501 framed Pioneer. The seller also had a 23" Halfords Apollo that no-one had bid on, and when I lifted that up to compare it's weight to the Gemini, it felt like a tank. It certainly wasn't a one-finger lift!

Excellent, well done, they're a good, inexpensive bike, I use my Raleigh Gemini every week in winter, my rides are all over 60 miles. It's basically a Raleigh touring frame without the drop handle bars and down tube shifters. The cantilever brakes need to be setup with a lot of patience and some decent brake blocks.:thumbsup:

I prefer changing it drop handle bars and downtube shifters.

You can change the complete Uniglide hub body/cassette to a modern Hyper glide hub body/cassette without any issues.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
they're a good, inexpensive bike, I use my Raleigh Gemini every week in winter, my rides are all over 60 miles. It's basically a Raleigh touring frame without the drop handle bars and down tube shifters.You can change the complete Uniglide hub body/cassette to a modern Hyper glide hub body/cassette without any issues.

It was very inexpensive to me in 2018, but I'd imagine it had at least a £200 price tag new back in 1988 or so, given the frame material and decent quality component set. These actually seem to be quite rare bikes -. do an eBay search on the Pioneer and you'll get 60-70 listings but search for the Gemini and you'll come up with either zero or maybe 1 listing! Big difference in secondhand numbers!!. Are you saying yours has a freehub/cassette arrangement rather than a conventional freewheel? I haven't looked that closely, but the gears seem in good condition with minimal wear so I won't be needing to replace anything yet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was very inexpensive to me in 2018, but I'd imagine it had at least a £200 price tag new back in 1988 or so, given the frame material and decent quality component set. These actually seem to be quite rare bikes -. do an eBay search on the Pioneer and you'll get 60-70 listings but search for the Gemini and you'll come up with either zero or maybe 1 listing! Big difference in secondhand numbers!!. Are you saying yours has a freehub/cassette arrangement rather than a conventional freewheel? I haven't looked that closely, but the gears seem in good condition with minimal wear so I won't be needing to replace anything yet.
The 'Pioneer' just had a longer model/name run than the Gemini, there are a lot of different specs over the years for the Pioneer.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
About 4 or 5 years ago i went to an elderly cyclist home as he was selling all his bikes as he had just been diagnosed with cancer and a short time to live so he wanted to be in charge of getting rid of his bikes

On arrival i found he was selling 4 bikes , Dawes Duo and a pair of Raleighs one of these was a very late Randaeur and the other was a Gemini .

I took one look at the Galaxy and said yes then tossed and turned over the Imperial and the Rando eventually i went for the Imperial ( god knows why ) the old boy was amazed that i had not even given the Gemini a glance as it was his favourite bike of all and its the one he wanted to sell the most . I often think back and realise i should have had all 4 of them

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Are you saying yours has a freehub/cassette arrangement rather than a conventional freewheel? I haven't looked that closely, but the gears seem in good condition with minimal wear so I won't be needing to replace anything yet.

The Gemini has a 6 speed Shimano Uniglide hub body and Cassette, you can screw out the whole hub body including the cassette and replace it with a Hyperglide hub body and cassette.

Good Uniglide cassettes are very rare and very expensive, so when my cassette started slipping, I changed it to a new cheap 8 speed Shimano Hyperglide.

But don't forget, you can reverse the cogs on a Uniglide cassette for more cog life, which is very handy, when one side of a cog wears.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Guy, thanks for the helpful info regarding the gears, I've certainly learned something I wasn't aware of. Funny thing is, I don't even regard a 1980's bike as "old" and I'm surprised there would be any spares availability issues with things like the rear cluster. I assumed pretty much all 6 speed clusters are the same and therefore readily available as replacements.
Biggs682, although I've not done much mileage on my Gemini, I can understand why the old boy liked his one so much. It seems to be a nice comfortable, docile ride and doesn't try to suddenly change course or throw you off every time you go over a bit of rough surface. I've had a ride on borrowed bikes in the past with pretty racy geometry that I just found way too twitchy and unpredictable, because you had to really concentrate on anticipating what the bike would do over every bump and change in road surface in order not to get caught out. That to me is just hard work and not my idea of fun cycling!.
Raleighnut, I became aware of the wide range of specs on the Pioneer range when I got mine and discovered that by pure chance, I had acquired a really nice Trail model with a 501 frame. Even allowing for the longer production run, the Gemini seems a much, much rarer bike, as there are loads of Pioneers about but there aren't loads of Geminis. I suspect the frame geometry is also very slightly different from the Pioneer, as to me, the two bikes do ride a bit differently although outwardly being very similar. Both nice rides but I'd say the Gemini is perhaps a bit more relaxed. It certainly feels a little lighter due to being 531.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Guy, thanks for the helpful info regarding the gears, I've certainly learned something I wasn't aware of. Funny thing is, I don't even regard a 1980's bike as "old" and I'm surprised there would be any spares availability issues with things like the rear cluster. I assumed pretty much all 6 speed clusters are the same and therefore readily available as replacements.
Biggs682, although I've not done much mileage on my Gemini, I can understand why the old boy liked his one so much. It seems to be a nice comfortable, docile ride and doesn't try to suddenly change course or throw you off every time you go over a bit of rough surface. I've had a ride on borrowed bikes in the past with pretty racy geometry that I just found way too twitchy and unpredictable, because you had to really concentrate on anticipating what the bike would do over every bump and change in road surface in order not to get caught out. That to me is just hard work and not my idea of fun cycling!.
Raleighnut, I became aware of the wide range of specs on the Pioneer range when I got mine and discovered that by pure chance, I had acquired a really nice Trail model with a 501 frame. Even allowing for the longer production run, the Gemini seems a much, much rarer bike, as there are loads of Pioneers about but there aren't loads of Geminis. I suspect the frame geometry is also very slightly different from the Pioneer, as to me, the two bikes do ride a bit differently although outwardly being very similar. Both nice rides but I'd say the Gemini is perhaps a bit more relaxed. It certainly feels a little lighter due to being 531.
The Gemini with 531 would have been a bit more expensive too even if it's standard thickness tubing i.e. not butted it is a more prestigious tubeset.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
raleighnut said:
The Gemini with 531 would have been a bit more expensive too even if it's standard thickness tubing i.e. not butted it is a more prestigious tubeset.

The catalogue for the "Lightweight" models suggests that because the Gemini has "touring" geometry, then the frame is built from 531ST (as opposed to 531C) main tubes. Slightly heavier gauge for extra strength but still butted.

iC3N1

Regular
Hi Folks!

I'm new here. Joined because I'm restoring an old Raleigh Gemini 18. Am I correct that this thread is still live? The dates are confusing me because this was originally started back in 2016. Some time ago I inherited the Gemini from my father who bought it new back in 88/89. He and I did cycle touring most weekends while I was growing up and we cycled most of our lives since. This was the last bike he was able to ride before he passed away. So yea, there's more than a little sentimental value in me riding this frame.

Here's the badger before I started:

IMG_3551 (1).JPG

Top Bottom