Raleigh Gran Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Morning all,

Picked up this yesterday:smile: Looks very original, I looked up the spec from the 60's and this seems to have the lot (Campag everything, GB Courier 66 brakes, Superhood Rapide levers). Missing a decent saddle so I've put an old one on for now, and the seat post needs looking at/brake hoods are perished. 009.JPG 010.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

I'm trying to put a date on it, the rear dynamo light suggests 1962. Would the brake calipers have a date on at all?

Thoughts welcome please^_^

Mark

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a beaut Mark. Sixties would seem to be correct. That head badge looks like it might help with the dating. Accord to this site that style was used late sixties to seventy, although the same was also used in the eighties but that is certainly too late for your bike.
http://velobase.com/ListHeadBadges.aspx?BrandView=e71b2612-32a3-428c-8928-f69dafcd853c
I should get the seat post sorted first as the bikes viability would hinge on that.
Nice find.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks, I'm looking forward to cleaning it up a bit and trying out for size. The current handlebar tape seems to be a bit of a mix of styles,
I'll maybe remove some to see if there are any markings underneath. I imagine it would have had the cloth type back in the day. Will have a look for a frame number later.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks all, I do like the colour and realised last night I didn't have to do much to the wheels as they look in great nick. I took a strange bracket of the front last night, opposite side to the light lamp. Not sure what purpose it served, will post a photo.

Frame number I think is 00000882 but I could have got that wrong, also has 69 but I think that year is a bit late? Yes this was the one in Peterborough, were you tempted?

classic33

Leg End Member
There'll be a number/code on the back of the brakes, which you can use to help get a date. Similar for the front and rear mechs.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks, I did have a quick look at the calipers but will check again later. The seat post is free now, and the front dynamo light seems to work but not the rear:sad: Problem with the gears though in that the rear gear cassette seem to 'freewheel' in both directions, the pedals sometimes connect and work as they should but not that often. Worn components maybe? The derailheurs work fine.

Thanks, I did have a quick look at the calipers but will check again later. The seat post is free now, and the front dynamo light seems to work but not the rear:sad: Problem with the gears though in that the rear gear cassette seem to 'freewheel' in both directions, the pedals sometimes connect and work as they should but not that often. Worn components maybe? The derailheurs work fine.
Slipping freewheel, the pawls are not always catching. They may just be sticking. How many gears has it got ?

Top Bottom