Raleigh Kellogg's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

I recently bought a Raleigh Team Kellogg's frame with all components other than rims and tyres. The decals are in decent condition but the bike could do with a wash and general care. I spent £30 on the frame, £12 on some vintage alesa rims with Sachs hubs and £12 on some nice tyres.
I was thinking i might get some vintage pedals as the ones on the frame are quite rusty.
I am not too experienced with doing up bikes but have made profit on a few bikes so far and was wondering if you guys had any advice. Or whether I should make a quick flip or put more time and money into the bike.
Thanks,
Breton.

Attachments

• IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2418.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 116

davidphilips

Veteran
raleigh 501 frames and bikes are great workhorses but i dont think they would ever be worth a lot so ride and enjoy as is or make a quick flip and put your time and money into something more collectable, sorry if this offends but i know i have lost out putting lots of time and money into cheaper bikes and then selling for a lot less than they have cost.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

raleigh 501 frames and bikes are great workhorses but i dont think they would ever be worth a lot so ride and enjoy as is or make a quick flip and put your time and money into something more collectable, sorry if this offends but i know i have lost out putting lots of time and money into cheaper bikes and then selling for a lot less than they have cost.
No this does not offend me thank you for your comments!!

pawl

Legendary Member
I recently bought a Raleigh Team Kellogg's frame with all components other than rims and tyres. The decals are in decent condition but the bike could do with a wash and general care. I spent £30 on the frame, £12 on some vintage alesa rims with Sachs hubs and £12 on some nice tyres.
I was thinking i might get some vintage pedals as the ones on the frame are quite rusty.
I am not too experienced with doing up bikes but have made profit on a few bikes so far and was wondering if you guys had any advice. Or whether I should make a quick flip or put more time and money into the bike.
Thanks,
Breton.

Do it up ride those vintage bike events.

No this does not offend me thank you for your comments!!
it offends me lots :smile: I get quite defensive about 501 tubing, a bit like @Spokesmann when people talk about "gas pipe".
The Raleigh 501 family of frames make nice bikes that ride really well and are a great introduction to classic steelies. Their geometry features some pretty steep angles, which gives them quite a modern feel.

I'm currently riding a Pro Race with updated components (Inc. Brake shifters) and it's easily as quick as my modern road bike but feels both smoother and stiffer at the same time.
Ride it, enjoy it (they take proper mudguards so make good winter trainers) then pass it on to someone else who'll enjoy it, tidy original examples sell round here for £100+ and I've sold a Sirocco with brake shifters for 150 (though I didn't actually earn anything on that, apart from the satisfaction of getting a sadly orphaned frame back on the road :smile:).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it offends me lots :smile: I get quite defensive about 501 tubing, a bit like @Spokesmann when people talk about "gas pipe".
The Raleigh 501 family of frames make nice bikes that ride really well and are a great introduction to classic steelies. Their geometry features some pretty steep angles, which gives them quite a modern feel.

I'm currently riding a Pro Race with updated components (Inc. Brake shifters) and it's easily as quick as my modern road bike but feels both smoother and stiffer at the same time.
Ride it, enjoy it (they take proper mudguards so make good winter trainers) then pass it on to someone else who'll enjoy it, tidy original examples sell round here for £100+ and I've sold a Sirocco with brake shifters for 150 (though I didn't actually earn anything on that, apart from the satisfaction of getting a sadly orphaned frame back on the road :smile:).
The original usage of 'Gas pipe' has been turned around, makers used to proudly advertise their frames as being "highest quality gas specification tubing" .
Nowadays that term is used in a derogatory manner.

This isn't really the best time of year to sell any bike of course - another reason to do it up and ride it through the winter!

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Thanks @mikeymustard ... I am still learning about older bikes but your comments really help.

davidphilips

Veteran

sorry if i have offended you mikey, i actually like raleigh 501 bikes a lot and have one i use most days, the raleigh elan frame/bike i have is actually lighter and better than some 531 frames, nice bike to ride they are very underrated and hence why they tend to sell for little money, that is why i would recommend just enjoying them as is and not putting a lot of time and money into them (like i do) especially if they are to be sold on.
only my own view but most dont know that a reynolds 531 may only be 531 main tubes and cheap stays and lugs built cheap to sell cheap yet a good 501 frame would be as light and a better frame built for the same price, i could go on about frames and just bore anyone that reads this all i wanted to put across any thing i have put down is just my view and i do not mean to offend or cause offence to anyone.

Don't worry I wasn't really offended (hence the :smile:) :smile:
I've also got an Elan sitting in my garage that was built from just a frame, all it's waiting for is some wheels with spokes that aren't made of strawberry laces

Reactions: mjr

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My single speed is built from a Raleigh Winner, which I believe was 501 tubing & it's a good ride. I got the original bike really cheap, which allowed more funds for some handbuilt wheels & that probably helped the ride quality. As previously said though, 501 frames don't tend to sell for a great deal, so probably best not to spend much more to maximise your profit :okay:

Top Bottom