Raleigh Kellogg's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
sorry if i have offended you mikey, i actually like raleigh 501 bikes a lot and have one i use most days, the raleigh elan frame/bike i have is actually lighter and better than some 531 frames, nice bike to ride they are very underrated and hence why they tend to sell for little money, that is why i would recommend just enjoying them as is and not putting a lot of time and money into them (like i do) especially if they are to be sold on.
only my own view but most dont know that a reynolds 531 may only be 531 main tubes and cheap stays and lugs built cheap to sell cheap yet a good 501 frame would be as light and a better frame built for the same price, i could go on about frames and just bore anyone that reads this all i wanted to put across any thing i have put down is just my view and i do not mean to offend or cause offence to anyone.
There are quite a few different variants of '531' tubing, from plain guage to butted to the light 531c and also the build 'geometry' affects the 'feel'.
My Equipe is only Raleigh's basic tubeset but rides lovely whereas my Road Ace (531c) is very 'whippy' and will quite happily spit me off (and has done several times) and if anything is too responsive and doesn't like coarse inputs (it'll tie itself in knots then 'unload' and 'kick' like a sod)

davidphilips

Veteran
There are quite a few different variants of '531' tubing, from plain guage to butted to the light 531c and also the build 'geometry' affects the 'feel'.
My Equipe is only Raleigh's basic tubeset but rides lovely whereas my Road Ace (531c) is very 'whippy' and will quite happily spit me off (and has done several times) and if anything is too responsive and doesn't like coarse inputs (it'll tie itself in knots then 'unload' and 'kick' like a sod)

know the feeling,i have had a few dawes galaxys over the years and even with there 531 frames there are quite a few differences the early ones felt light and almost as light as a 531c or even a 531sl , the later galaxy and some horizons 531st with the thick heavy stays felt a lot stiffer and very heavy a different frame and different bike.
there was a raleigh team 753 frame sold last week for £1600, and theres a raleigh 753 frame not a team bike selling today price £255 but may well go up some lovely frames, think my next build (always on the lookout) will be a nice 531 or similar steel frame just have to keep looking.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Well guys thanks for the input
@Soltydog @Cycleops @raleighnut @mikeymustard but I just found out that the axel in the rear hub is stripped and the chain was put in wrong. Looks like I won't be making any money after all however I do feel that I should get e refund from the wheel seller as the stripped axel was not described in the description. Any thoughts,
Thanks again,
Breton.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well guys thanks for the input
@Soltydog @Cycleops @raleighnut @mikeymustard but I just found out that the axel in the rear hub is stripped and the chain was put in wrong. Looks like I won't be making any money after all however I do feel that I should get e refund from the wheel seller as the stripped axel was not described in the description. Any thoughts,
Thanks again,
Breton.
A new rear axle should only cost a couple of quid, the only difficult bit is taking the freewheel off.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ok, if you get someone to do it it still shouldn't cost too much. Preferable to have to pack it and sent it back but it's your call.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
@raleighnut yeah I don't even want to tackle that job so I am just gonna get someone to do it for me.
Honestly it is easy-peasy, plus you have the opportunity to check the bearings/cones when you do it (not to mention being able to grease the bearing properly)

Rjbv

I recently bought a Raleigh Team Kellogg's frame with all components other than rims and tyres. The decals are in decent condition but the bike could do with a wash and general care. I spent £30 on the frame, £12 on some vintage alesa rims with Sachs hubs and £12 on some nice tyres.
I was thinking i might get some vintage pedals as the ones on the frame are quite rusty.
I am not too experienced with doing up bikes but have made profit on a few bikes so far and was wondering if you guys had any advice. Or whether I should make a quick flip or put more time and money into the bike.
Thanks,
Breton.
Hi, I know this is very late but where did you manage to get the alesa rims from? Someone stole my back wheel from my pro tour and I am really struggling for a replacement. New wheels are the wrong size and I want to keep the look of the bike.
Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi, I know this is very late but where did you manage to get the alesa rims from? Someone stole my back wheel from my pro tour and I am really struggling for a replacement. New wheels are the wrong size and I want to keep the look of the bike.
Thanks
Sorry but you might not get a reply, BretonM was last active more than three years ago. :sad:

Top Bottom