raleigh lenton (just bought)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Bought a bike today any one know any thing about them its (well i was told) a 1951 Raleigh lenton has a 531 frame 3 speed rear hub and dynamo front hub.

The gears seem to be slipping or not working never had one of these old hubs apart so dont know if its an easy fix or should i look to buy a new hub and invest in some alloy rims stainless spokes etc. Advice most welcome.

Attachments

• 100_8548[1].JPG
    100_8548[1].JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_8549[1].JPG
    100_8549[1].JPG
    211 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_8550[1].JPG
    100_8550[1].JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_8551[1].JPG
    100_8551[1].JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_8552[1].JPG
    100_8552[1].JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 221

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t know much about them but if it is Lenton I believe they are much sort after. Yours looks rather tidy and original. Good buy.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Not bad condition for a 66 year old! Sure it would look better if the seat post was right way round - did people deliberately do this to change the saddle distance or something?

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Don’t know much about them but if it is Lenton I believe they are much sort after. Yours looks rather tidy and original. Good buy.

Thanks Cycleops, dont know if worth much but seems original and it says lenton on the downtube i only paid £60, perhaps cost me a bit to get the wheels sorted out but took it for a spin and seems quite nice.
LOL, Never noticed the seat post Mikey but should be able to sort that, many thanks ttfn.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks Cycleops, dont know if worth much but seems original and it says lenton on the downtube i only paid £60, perhaps cost me a bit to get the wheels sorted out but took it for a spin and seems quite nice.
LOL, Never noticed the seat post Mikey but should be able to sort that, many thanks ttfn.

£60 is a very good price for a Lenton loads of people swap the wheels for 700 units

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
£60 is a very good price for a Lenton loads of people swap the wheels for 700 units

Thanks just looking at it theres 40 spokes rear and 32 spokes front, dont know best thing to do about wheels may be hard finding rims/alloy wheels perhaps i will have a go at fixing it and take it from there also thres 6 volt lights may look for replacement led bulbs if any such thing exists?

You are right about clearance for 700 wheels but dont know if i could find a 40 spoke rear rim will try any way thanks again.
Will have to let it sit until the weekend before i have time but should be a fun bike even if i can not find alloy rims i may change calipers to long drop twin pivot?

Think this is one top keep long term really like the bike know its just an old tatty heavy thing but theres just a nice feel to it. PS made a mistake the rear hub would be 4 speed if it worked.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You only paid £60!! Hope you can sleep at night.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Quick update of the lenton, pulled the rear hub apart cleaned and rebuilt, fitted new bearings to bottom bracket seemed great until i removed the crank arms and then axle would hardly turn bearings where not to bad but grease had turned to a sort of solid muck.
Fitted new cables,hand grips, led bulbs, new bearings in head set,front wheel (same bearings as bottom brackets big bearings for a front wheel) and pedal bearings and of course brake blocks, greased seat post and applied proofide to saddle.

took it out for first long madin run and rides great really comfortable dont know if its the heavy 26 inch steel wheels or the forks but very nice feel to it hard to describe but feels like you could take your hands of the handlebars hit a bump in the road and not have to worry.

Only down side of the lenton i took it for a 52 mile run and usually on a solo run with little or no wind and traffic it normally takes me appox 3 hours with the lenton it took just over 4 hours and i was pushing quite hard? Perhaps down to the dynamo hub or the weight of the bike but its not a quick bike.

Only things i may change if i can source 40/32 spoke alloy rims and fit more modern twin pivot brakes plus i will look on e bay for another rear light as it would be great to have a matching pair on it. Led bulbs are not shown in the picture as i only received them this after noon

Attachments

• 100_8553[1].JPG
    100_8553[1].JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_8554[1].JPG
    100_8554[1].JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_8555[1].JPG
    100_8555[1].JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom