Raleigh Lenton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
DSC01381 (2).JPG
DSC01382 (2).JPG
DSC01380 (2).JPG
My Raleigh Lenton ,I have just bought going to do a oily rag restoration I think its called .

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Have you found a date on the hub? Someone I used to do the occasional ride with had one of those and was devilishly fast on it as well.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Its has a alloy rear sturmey hub 1952 fm 4 speed but seems to have the internals of a 3 speed that work fine but I may see if I can find the correct internals for it .

I have a complete 4 speed fm hub that has failed come of my Lenton
Looks a nice original example @ren531

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I am a bit dutiful of the reliability of the 4 speed the hub casing has a slight bulge and crack in it suggesting the 4 speed may have exploded inside and been replaced with a 3 speed and the big strong point of the 3 speed is strength and reliability so I may leave it as it is

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am a bit dutiful of the reliability of the 4 speed the hub casing has a slight bulge and crack in it suggesting the 4 speed may have exploded inside and been replaced with a 3 speed and the big strong point of the 3 speed is strength and reliability so I may leave it as it is

My lbs replaced mine for a 3 speed for similar reasons

Windhover

My Raleigh Lenton ,I have just bought going to do a oily rag restoration I think its called . View attachment 436448 View attachment 436449 View attachment 436450 View attachment 436449 View attachment 436450
I like the condition of your Lenton. Looks like a more viable project than mine. My frame number is 356121T. Based on Old Bike Museum’s extract 356121 T dates my bike as 1952. My hub is stamped 1954 so something's happened.

Attachments

• SAM_3925.JPG
    SAM_3925.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SAM_4035.JPG
    SAM_4035.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 24
  • SAM_4018.JPG
    SAM_4018.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 24

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I like the condition of your Lenton. Looks like a more viable project than mine. My frame number is 356121T. Based on Old Bike Museum’s extract 356121 T dates my bike as 1952. My hub is stamped 1954 so something's happened.
The hub type could have been changed from the one fitted as standard i.e. from a close to a wide ratio hub.

People used to tinker with their bikes back then too, 'upgrading' is not just a modern phenomena.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If the hub has bulges, you might as well re-shell it. Any A-series 3-speed internals will fit into any A-series shell*, or the current SRF3 alloy shell. Obviously you'll need to rebuild the wheel, but you can re-use the spokes and rim.

*early shells have a screwed-in left ball cup (with a LH thread; it gets VERY tight in use as it takes the drive in low gear), later shells have a pressed-in LH cup with a different ratchet pitch, but they all work the same. I have AM internals in a 70s steel AW shell, a new alloy SRF3 shell and even a wafer-thin 1950s AM alloy shell - made to the same dimensions as the steel shell, and 4 oz lighter. It hasn't cracked yet!

Top Bottom