Raleigh M-Trax: any info?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2018_09_19_06.jpg

A conversation about 1990's era MTB's got me wondering: Does anyone remember/know anything about the Raleigh M-Trax range? I've been riding an M-trax "Sport 80" since I bought it in 1997, and much of it is still going strong as the front end of my Xtracycle conversion. It is also about the only 'modern' Raleigh bike I've seen with "Nottingham, England" on the badge.

I've looked around online for information about M-Trax's. I can find a couple of people with good memories of the bikes but nothing more, even the mighty G**gle doesn't bring a lot up. I have a vague memory that the brand had an unusual relationship with Raleigh and they were among the last bikes to be made before the parent company moved production overseas, but that's about all I know.

Anyone know any more?

classic33

Leg End Member
Way back during the early 1990s, Raleigh’s Special Products Division (or RSP for short) came up with the novel idea of bonding titanium or cro-moly steel tubes into steel or aluminium lugs, to build mountain bike frames that had a fairly low weight, a rigid rear triangle, and some of the damping and flex of titanium.

http://www.vintagesteelrider.com/index.php/2014/10/28/review-1993-m-trax-duo-tech-300/

I remember a colleague had a TI/steel M-trax. Mine is much more conventional with Chromo main frame and Hi-tensile rear stays and forks. The extra weight never bothered me and now tieh the Xtracycle on the back and often full of shopping I wouldn't notice the difference.

I've wondered about getting the frame repainted but whenever I look at the finish it seems fine, perhaps not 'factory fresh' but it doesn't look 20 years old by any stretch. Raleigh knew their stuff when they made this bike.

Jimbo slice

Hi guys, I am the proud owner of a 1994 ti1000. I bought the bike new from Halfords as an insurance claim having been relieved of my previous steed by some poor unfortunate hard done to...., let’s leave that there. Anyway, I gave the bike to a friend of mine in return for doing some garden work for me, he passed it on to his brother who passed it on to his son, anyway, I was given the bike back and I am now in the process of making a modern classic. I regularly ride a carbon Santa Cruz and have owned many others but the old mtrax just pulls at my heart strings. Jumbo.

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont have anything useful to add but ironically i met a a long term work friend today for the first time In maybe 3 years and he was telling me he recently rescued an MTrax 100 perhaps from a skip (with permission) a little fixing up and settling, hes happy hes got something moderately unusual. Chromo frame I think he said.

I still have a soft spot for those 90s mtbs. I had an Mtrax Ti1000. Lovely bike with retro-fitted Pace RC35 suspension.

Sold it a few years back when I got more into road riding.

As said earlier it was a product of the SPD and a too belated effort on the part of Raleigh to make up the ground lost to the US companies. They didn't take the market seriously enough until it was too late.

Nice looking conversion. Did you buy it like that, or get it converted?

Nigel25

MTRAX was used on a road bike range. I'm told this was a 90s Raleigh Team frame. In 853. RSP, very tight, no clearances. Notice the brazed on lug for race card. Lovely fast, light, smooth ride. I just bought the frame and built it up.
View attachment 437493
View attachment 437210

A conversation about 1990's era MTB's got me wondering: Does anyone remember/know anything about the Raleigh M-Trax range? I've been riding an M-trax "Sport 80" since I bought it in 1997, and much of it is still going strong as the front end of my Xtracycle conversion. It is also about the only 'modern' Raleigh bike I've seen with "Nottingham, England" on the badge.

I've looked around online for information about M-Trax's. I can find a couple of people with good memories of the bikes but nothing more, even the mighty G**gle doesn't bring a lot up. I have a vague memory that the brand had an unusual relationship with Raleigh and they were among the last bikes to be made before the parent company moved production overseas, but that's about all I know.

Anyone know any more?
I have had my M-Trax for around 25 years. It was an insurance replacement for an mtb stolen. I think it was a 100/150...all documentation including the guy who built at Nottingham, got water damage from garage roof. For years I had it serviced by Fosters. Before they went bust parts needed replacing, front derailleur, shifter. It's still a runner, I would love to find the decals for it. It was my yellow bomber (I had no choice in the size or colour). An mechanic at JEJames Sheffield chatted to me about the history of the bike. Fosters always used to do a great job on it. Always came back mint!

Drago

Legendary Member
In addition, the mid to late 90s Max Cromo range were superb bikes, and deeply unappreciated at the time. Double butted 4130 cromo frames, nice geometry, very nice detailing, superb powder coat finish. I was a fool to sell mine and if I see another in large frame size I'll snap the sellers fingers off at the shoulder. Raleigh were making some genuinely superb bikes at that point, but it was too little too late. They'd missed the MTB boom and the damage was done, and it didn't matter how excellent their bikes had become the consciousness of the buying public had moved on to other brands.

In addition, the mid to late 90s Max Cromo range were superb bikes, and deeply unappreciated at the time. Double butted 4130 cromo frames, nice geometry, very nice detailing, superb powder coat finish. I was a fool to sell mine and if I see another in large frame size I'll snap the sellers fingers off at the shoulder. Raleigh were making some genuinely superb bikes at that point, but it was too little too late. They'd missed the MTB boom and the damage was done, and it didn't matter how excellent their bikes had become the consciousness of the buying public had moved on to other brands.

That's sad, they are great bikes. Mine still looks good but had an unfortunate ding last year so it will need a new powder coating in the next year or two, which I hope will make it usable for at least my working life. Considering I bought it in my late teens that is pretty good going.

Top Bottom