Raleigh M-Trax: any info?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Postman Higher Grade.Indoor workers , who took on more responsibility.Extra money. The grade no longer exists, we were bought off, with a lump sum, so everybody could be moved about when and where needed.

lucidone

I owned a circa '93 M-Trax 600 which was a nice looking champagne / black bonded frame jobby with Shimano Exage 250 ES/LT groupset - wasn't really that special to ride but my mate liked it, bought it and rode it for 20+ years until lost in a garage fire.
I then bought, and still ride nearly every day, a 1997 M-Trax 350 (rigid version with Tange forks). It's been a superb bike and and still feels light and quick when in the correct trim. If anyone's interested I have the brochure for that year so could upload any pic's / info required.

lucidone

I have one of those in the shed - doesn't get much use nowadays but its a good ride and looks the part IMO. It has titanium main tubes and the rest is steel.
Yes, a good looking bike! Do you still have the bullhorn bars that were standard? They looked unusual and bent a fair bit but were comfy as I recall.

My friend still laments the loss of his. 😥

lucidone

Yep, got the bullhorns. It seems to have become a bit of a donor currently and looks a bit sorry for itself. It had the rock shox when i got it but i don't think they are original:

Many thanks for taking / sharing the photo - it's a nice reminder of many fun rides!

Nice bike - looks pretty damn good for 26+ years old! Yes, the forks and stem look like upgrades but the rest is still there.
I'm sure your's is well greased but just be careful with the original seat post forming too close a bond with the frame - it became a problem on my old one eventually for my friend. I'll forward your photo and see if I can make him cry - he really loved that bike!

lucidone

IMG_20200701_213328.jpg

Specs from 1997 M-Trax brochure.

View attachment 533638

Specs from 1997 M-Trax brochure.

Many thanks: Mine was the "Sport 80" and was exactly as described except that the bike shop changed my shifters to rapidfire, and for some reason it had an old-school BB.

I bought it in late 1997 and it was at the time being described as "last year's model" It's nice to have a definite date.

And still going strong 23 years later, some components still have the "RSP" badge.

lucidone

Many thanks: Mine was the "Sport 80" and was exactly as described except that the bike shop changed my shifters to rapidfire, and for some reason it had an old-school BB.

I bought it in late 1997 and it was at the time being described as "last year's model" It's nice to have a definite date.

And still going strong 23 years later, some components still have the "RSP" badge.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200702185658533_COVER.jpg

Good to hear of another survivor! Here's the brochure page for the 80 - IMO they did some nice colours and that certainly looks like one of them!

View attachment 533785

Good to hear of another survivor! Here's the brochure page for the 80 - IMO they did some nice colours and that certainly looks like one of them!

Wow, there she is, almost exactly like I bought her. I remember the catalogue page too, and completely forgetting the model and name when I left the shop.

The saddle was changed within weeks, and thetyres were swapped for semi-slicks soon after... 23 years later and it's still going strong, despite bing a bit battered in places and having gained some weight, much like its owner:

2019_06_15_Eyach_Century_03.JPG

This was last year, on my first imperial century...

2019_06_15_Eyach_Century_26.JPG

Still a lovely bike and a great ride...

lucidone

Looks like a great rig - I've never ridden a cargo bike / conversion but it appears you get along very well on yours!
Just out of interest, are there ever any issues with the long chain run?

Looks like a great rig - I've never ridden a cargo bike / conversion but it appears you get along very well on yours!
Just out of interest, are there ever any issues with the long chain run?

Not too much: I get through chains a bit faster, and I always need to cut 1 1/2 chains. Last time it was a bit too slack but it isn't a major issue.

The length of cable to the rear mech is more of a problem: it always jumps one gear when going down and I have to persuade it if I want to use that one, and the cable is prone to icing up in winter.

That apart it's a really nice ride, and useful: I'll be taking Beautiful Daughter off today on a route that most people wouldn't consider trying to pull a children's trailer along.

lucidone

Just completed the swap about, build and test and it's just how I like it.

PXL_20201010_111955876.jpg

PXL_20201010_112049380.jpg

PXL_20201010_112222907.jpg

I was originally looking for a pair of nice Project 2's and was going to keep it dark and moody with the black Deore 27 group, however, the mint Pace RC30's showed themselves and they changed the direction and it's now more period correct. Don't know whether to go for some repro stickers or keep it mufti.

Last edited:
Top Bottom