Raleigh maintenance repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

My previously owned Raleigh has been out on its first few rides and even as a complete novice I have noticed some major drawbacks to buying used stuff you know nothing about.
The bike model is a series 7005 and I need to replace the bottom bracket, the only information I can find is that it is a semi sealed cartridge, but I can't find any of these for sale. I can find a few bottom brackets for sale, just not a semi sealed.
I would really like to do the work myself, in future I would llike to either pimp this bike or rebuild, build on for myself, so the experience re: maintenance etc would be great. Any ideas input appreciated in finding my semi sealed cartridge or similar.

Edit: It's an Airlite

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Post some pictures.

It's most likely a Road bike 68mm shell cartridge BB that you can replace it with. The other key measurement is the axel length, which can be measured if you can get it out.

Simple job with the right tools.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

That looks about right steve, I was just wondering fossyant if the there was a fully sealed variant, as you say something a bit more 'bomb proof'. Is the UN53/54 a reference to the thread size? I guess the shaft length must also stay at 124.5 square tapered?

lpretro1

No such thing as a 'fully sealed' bottom bracket.It will be a bog standard square taper Get a Shimano UN55 in the appropriate axle length - it will be a standard british thread so don't worry about that. The two important measurements are the shell width (will be either 68mm or 73mm - most likely 68mm) and the axle length (if current one is 124.5 you won't find that exact length - a 122.5 will do - it's only 1mm diff either side). Have u got the tools for removing cranks & then the bottom bracket itself. If not might be an idea to get LBS to do it for you

Tim Hall

No, UN53 and UN54 are just Shimano model numbers. The higher the number, the whizzier the bottom bracket. Back in the day Raleigh had their own thread standard, but I think your bike will be "British" threaded. Shaft length doesn't gave to be bob on, unless you're riding a fixed wheel. I don't think UN54 comes in 124.5 but it is available at 127mm. That's probably close enough, but you might have to jibble the front mech.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd whip the old one out and pop into a bike shop with it. Easier to ask for a BB that'll replace this one than to faff around online trying to save 2 quid (and possibly getting the wrong one/not the optimum one)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A "semi-sealed" BB can be just an unsealed BB with a grease-filled plastic tube that clicks in between the cups, covering the axle and theoretically hindering water ingress and grease leak. ETC ones are still sold by Wilco FastFit near me.

+1 to taking the extracted BB to the lbs. Even the cheeky ones shouldn't be more than £20 unless it's really exotic. Or if the bearing tracks still look smooth, you could strip, clean and rebuild it with new ball bearings and fresh waterproof grease.

Top Bottom