Raleigh Metropolitan - NOW GONE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Skip find. Apparently quite rare and certainly interesting; lugged steel frame with fat 26" wheels, bullhorn bars and 2x5sp drivetrain. Dating from the mid-1980's; apparently Raleigh's stab at a mountain bike before mountain bikes were really a thing.

This one appears complete although is extremely tatty. Headliners are much corrosion and flaking paint on the frame; the worst being on the chainstays and back end of the top tube. Most bits that are supposed to move don't - wheels turn, think the BB is OK but the chain is seized pretty much solid, as is the freewheel and front brake.

Definitely a ground-up, bare-metal, nut-and-bolt resto if you're brave enough; potentially a source of bits if you already have one.

The top tube measures around 58cm c-c, the seat tube around 56cm centre-top.

Free for collection from Botley, Oxford OX2. Need this gone ASAP so if you're interested don't be shy.

I dragged this out of a skip, for about a mile and up a bloody big hill to appease the demands of CC - so don't leave me holding the bag please ;)

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I'd roll it back down the hill and but it back in the skip, it needs far more expenditure than it will ever be worth. That is well and truly fecked.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

If you are facebook there are Raleigh chopper and grifter groups that would take that off you they restore worse than that.
Thanks - I'll keep it in mind although as it happens I also have it advertised elsewhere for a whole tenner, with a couple of buyers lined up so hopefully by this time tomorrow it'll be gone :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Nice easy rebuild there in the waiting
:laugh:

If anyone's arsed it's still available as the muppets from elsewhere are proving less than reliable..

davidphilips

Veteran
Really surprised no one has snapped this up? Tbh perhaps the frame is to far gone but the amount of spare parts that could be reused must be worth a lot to any one with either a similar bike or some one collecting bits for a future project?

Top Bottom