Raleigh mid '90's doall bike 52cm frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john wood

As per title De-stickered Raleigh 4130 CroMo frame(sticker retained)
Spec is:-
s/tube 52cm C to T
ETT 58cm C toC
Drivetrain Altus front and rear mech,shifters/leversSram 870 chain(as new) non to very little signs of wear.
Chainset Altus with 22/32/38t showing little sign of wear.
Wheels Altus rear,Maillard front hubs Rigida rims(very little wear),with a choice of new 26in x 2in(559x50) Schwalbe Big Apple tyres or new Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres or both pairs for an extra £10.
Altus Canti brakes.
RSP alu rear rack.
SKS mudguards.
The saddle in the photo has been swapped for another one.
Pedals not included but I have some flat ones or a pair of SPD's for an extra £10.
The bike bike is in first class condition and has been totally rebuilt with new bearings where needed,and all new cable.
Paintwork is excellent with only a few small scratches here and there but nothing serious or detrimental to the bike's overall appearance.
All in all a very good do all bike as the title suggests and is surplus to requirements.
Any inspection welcome.
Asking £95 ONO
Note:-pump and pannier not included.
The bike is situated 10minutes from J23 M6 (between Manchester and Liverpool)
Photo:-
qCOyFoiw0js-yMwBU2vf1qbIv8uO8LevU5VXsK56pRgnthKNKVHThFyesyxBZ-n1hghWQaH2zC2XjU9wGy=w1126-h634-no.jpg

OP
OP
J

john wood

bump and a reduction to £85,worth far more IMHO

Drago

Legendary Member
Forgive me butting in. That's a Raleigh Max Cromo II from '96/'97. Very high quality double butted full 4130 frames. Regret selling mine bitterly. If that were a larger size I'd have that in a heartbeat.

It would originally have had canti's, you can see the redundant canti frame hanger on the rear. The Altus gear is basic but effective, although the Altus shifters are surprisingly nice to use. Very smart and durable metallic nylon powder coat frame finishes. Front wheel, seat post and stem aren't original, but that's not necessarily a bad thng.

OP
OP
J

john wood

The brakes in the photo are V's and since have been replaced by the original cantis as stated in the OP,front wheel and seatpost are original.
Stem and handlebar aren't original,the Altus kit are as you say very effective and work faultlessly.
The bike originally was an Equator not a Max Cromo 2 though the frame is 4130 CroMo.

Drago

Legendary Member
OK, that dates it accurately as a 1996 if its an Equator. With a change of decals and alternative bluey-purple paint option it became the CroMo II in 97 and 98, but is otherwise identical in all respects, going by my brochures.

Seriously lovely frames, may well try and acquire another myself some day!

I may be interested. So it was originally a mtn bike, which makes that a large frame and a long reach? Looking for a bike for my son to take to Uni. but that may be too long in the top tube.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm over 6'3" Crackle, was was probably at the upper end of what was comfortable in that frame size. If you're lad is 5'10" ish upwards he should be fine. They did have a blooming long quill stem as standard, but that's easily remedied.

I'm over 6'3" Crackle, was was probably at the upper end of what was comfortable in that frame size. If you're lad is 5'10" ish upwards he should be fine. They did have a blooming long quill stem as standard, but that's easily remedied.
No he's not, 5, 8, so I suspect this will be too big then. Damn shame, it would have been perfect.

OP
OP
J

john wood

I may be interested. So it was originally a mtn bike, which makes that a large frame and a long reach? Looking for a bike for my son to take to Uni. but that may be too long in the top tube.
Effective Top tube is 58cm,I have shorter stems and a choice of handlebars if needs be.
In the photo the saddle is set as far as it'll go and saddle height is 89cm from pedal at BDC to saddle top,you're free to come and view :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom