Raleigh Misty - a bit of a mixte bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've been on that eBay again ...

Mrs Knees mentioned that the reason she doesn't like riding her bike much is that she finds the cross bar annoying, and that she'd be more inclined to ride if she had a 'ladies' frame - so I had a look on the bay, and found a very clean looking Raleigh Misty not too far away for not much money. Lovely.

I'm sat looking at it in our kitchen, having test-fitted a 700c wheel in place of the 27" ones it had on (it fits, but the mudguard could do with a trim where it meets the chain stays, which is fine - the tyre is 1.5". There is enough adjustment in the brakes too) and I'm wondering when it's from, and if it was just a bike built to a budget, or if it marks the start of the decline of Raleigh. It looks very similar to the one in the catalogue that the veterancycleclublibrary have as being from c.1978

misty.png

It has the same spec too - complete with Shimano PPS 5 speed shifter, suede look saddle and Positron dérailleur - although it's a Positron FH with a May 1986 date stamp. Did the spec really not change for 8 years?

Anyway - the cabling to the dérailleur and the back brake is hideous, as per the catalogue image, and was what got me looking to check if it was made like that. The frame has a mount for a centre pull rear brake behind the seat tube, as well as the holes in the cross bracing on the top tubes to allow the cabling through. That would have looked much more elegant, and would also have allowed the gear cable to follow the top 'mixte' tube straight down to the dérailleur instead of using those horrible plastic clamps to hold it in place on the down tube and chain stay. It's how some Mistys were made it seems, but I guess this way was cheaper. The state of some of the welds - on the stand plate in particular, also leaves something to be desired, and there are other cost-saving bits - the chain stay on the drive side, for example, has a redundant cable guide welded on - I suppose it was a stock part - and the left hand seat stay has notches cut out (they're supposed to be there but I've no idea what they are for) and a threaded hole on the inside, neither of which appear on the left hand side. Oh, and the seat post is comically short, the limit mark is about 3 or 4 inches total extension.

Apart from all that I'm quite taken with it. I need a cassette for the new back wheel and to locate the spare front wheel I have somewhere. I'm going to change the Positron shifter for something way more up to date - a 'Suntour XPress Accusishift Plus' 7 speed I had in my parts box. It's from 1990 I think :smile: We'll see how the Positron FH copes with that - that might have to go too, although it will run up to a 34 tooth cog so it should be ok. Like the rest of the bike it looks hardly used. It also needs new grips. When OH rides it it may well need a longer seat post, and I might have to get a proper centre pull rear brake just because the cabling annoys me (plus surely that u-bend of cable will get full of water?)

I got a Raleigh Merlin about 1985. The Misty I believe was the ladies equivalent. It too has the Positron 'pre-select' gears, but was running with very nice Weinmann centre pull brakes and wheels.
Yes the cables are held in place with white zip ties from new.
I did a hell of a lot of miles on it and pulled it from the shed and changed some bearings and grease last autumn. New tyres and tubes from amazon and cleaning the bright bits with silver foil have done the trick. It's going back into service next year along with an early 80's bike for my better half.

I'm surprised at the asking price for these bikes on ebay. But then they do survive well.

midlife

Guru
We sold the Misty in the bike shop back in the 70's. Back then it was called a Twin -lat, the mixte moniker came later.

It was a good seller, especially the mauve coloured ones iirc.

Nice bikes :smile:

Shaun

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Positron. Is that the one where the indexing was in the mech rather than the shifter?

Nice looking bike. Mrs Manatee is too tall for that type of frame. The sizes always stop before the size she would need.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the replies - I'll try and get some pictures later, although I've already swapped some bits around.

Having looked at the Positron a bit more closely in the light it obviously needs to go - the cable is a solid wire that pushes and pulls the dérailleur. This also explains why it's in an outer the whole route I guess. Luckily it seems that the bits (wire, changer and rear mechanism) will sell for the price I paid for the bike (a whole £30) if I'm lucky, and I have everything I need to replace it all with a more normal dérailleur and 7 speed shifters.

None of the local bike shops have a centre pull calliper in stock though, so I can't do that today. Also it seems Raleigh handlebars are somewhat fatter than modern ones, as I can't fit locking grips on them. I don't suppose any of you know their diameter?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Positron. Is that the one where the indexing was in the mech rather than the shifter?

Nice looking bike. Mrs Manatee is too tall for that type of frame. The sizes always stop before the size she would need.
Yes, I think so - rear mech doesn't seem to have much (if any) spring.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I had a bit of a fiddle with this last night.

Things I have learned:

1. The handlebars are wider than is now standard, so the locking grips I bought don't fit. I've used some other bars I had in the shed.
  2. Raleigh liked your toolkit to include 3 or 4 similar sized spanners
  3. I have lost my 10mm spanner
  4. And my cable cutters - but they were blunt anyway
  5. I really need to cold-set the frame as fitting the rear wheel involves removing the bolts for the rear rack and swearing
  6. Positron stuff is very interesting but not very practical
  7. The rear brake has loads of spare adjustment for the 700c wheels, but it's side pull and I think it would look better as a centre pull so I will probably replace it
  8. The front brake blocks don't *quite* reach a 700c rim, so I might just file a bit out of them
  9. The tyres on the wheels I've fitted are quite wide for the frame and only just fit in the guards despite the wheels being smaller.
  10. If 700c is also known as 29 inch, I would like someone to take responsibility for 27" wheels being bigger than 700c
Currently it looks like this.

P1150170.jpg

clyde

Just picked up a Misty myself. Its got a odd rear mech cable route. It is standard down to the back end but then hasnt got a clamp for the cable outer. Its not like the one in the Raleigh book in this picture. Got to work out the date yet. Its a Burgundy type colour, melliard hubs and rear cogs. Centre pulls, chrome muddies. Seems an ok bike for the money but not quite as nice or light as a Elswick Charisma I got for my wife.

midlife

Guru
Dating should be ok as the bean counters at Raleigh numbered every frame, the Misty often had the number on the seat tube running vertically under the seat.

Shaun

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I had a bit of a fiddle with this last night.

Things I have learned:
If 700c is also known as 29 inch, I would like someone to take responsibility for 27" wheels being bigger than 700c
Currently it looks like this.

View attachment 332926

700c wheels are about 27" rolling diameter if they have 1" wide tyres on.
Fit 2" wide tyres instead and they're then 29"
Be easier if everyone would use the ERTO size...

porteous

Veteran
I like Raleigh mixte frames. When I met my wife she had a little used Raleigh Richmond 5 speed in the shed which I refurbed so she could come riding with me. It was fitted with 27x1,25 wheels, weinman centre pulls and 5 speeds. I upgraded it to 15 speed and it is a class ride. The frame was actually manufactured by Carlton.

I have rebuilt two since. One as a "scruffy" town bike for one daughter working in London. No attempt ever made to nick it, I suspect because it looked too "odd". A third, for another daughter, was bought locally for £30, easily converted from 5 to 15 gears and with a bit of effort now looks pretty much as new.. All were kept to original spec so tons of spares on E-
Cat's richmond.jpg
Bikes - Nicky and Clubman 007.JPG
Bay. I suspect the trick is not to try and upgrade components to modern, there are lots of high end contemporary bits to be had NOS.

Top Bottom