Raleigh Motus Tour- loud squeaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swfcdan

My partner has a Raleigh Motus Tour almost a year old now I reckon. She said it now has a squeak that's got louder the past month or so, and I tried it today and it appears to be coming from the front and is only when pedalling (generally uphill) so it's not wheel related as no noise when freewheeling- it's especially noticeable on the quiet streets at this time! But it never used to happen I'm sure. I've tried spraying all the bolts at the front with bike lubricant, and also the bottom bracket on both sides (and scraped out and wiped any dirt from inside it) in case that was causing it.

It hasn't made a jot of difference though. The noise is definitely not brake related which usually is the cause in my experience, never had a noise seemingly coming from the front before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause and what I can try doing?

Have you stripped regreased bottom bracket, check seat clamp and stem bolts, or have a look here
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

OP
OP
S

swfcdan

Thanks for that link Roadrash, I've taken a look and have cleaned the chain and lubricated seat clamp but still no luck. I'll check more of the suggestions tommorow.

I don't know exactly where it's coming from, all it sounds like is its coming from somewhere at the front when I ride it- I'm not sure how else I can determine the source of the noise. Only squeaks when I'm cycling, nothing from braking or freewheeling. I don't do much dismantling etc just the basic maintenance so not sure what I could consider removing to see if something is causing the issue.

If you pedal without sitting on the seat do the noise still appear? If it does then that would eliminate the seat

Also - try moving the suspension up and down and see if you can make it squeak

mustiman

I had the exact same problem which was driving me nuts on a 4 month old/650 km Motus Tour, that started around 300 kms. LBS did not fix it, so I took the matter in my own hands and did some research. It turns out the three nuts that secure the motor to the frame needed tightening, as one biker mentions the motor is fixed to the frame without waiting for the frame paint to dry. Over time and generally within first few months this creak appears and sometimes sounds too embarrassing even :-) To fix this you will need to remove the plastic motor cover with a Torx T15 screwdriver (and you don't need to take out the left crank). There are three No 13 nuts that need tightening, cannot miss them. Enjoy the silence afterwards. Cheers.

My LBS fixed it - after getting hold of some Torx screwdrivers so they could get at the motor bolts
(they didn;t have any because they always used the mechanic's set - but he recently died of Covid - so understandable that they delayed)

anyway - they also commented that the inside was full of dust - fine dust probably from the mud on the main road and the paths I ride on

Hence it would seem to be a good idea to take the motor cover off once of twice a year just to clean it out - can;t imaging that fine dust can be over good for the motor and stuff!!

gbb

Legendary Member
One really really basic thing that happens with wheels / squeaks is the rubber seal around the axle sometimes dries out and can squeak.. Apply a little oil on that rubber seal each side (assuming they are fitted on the front axle). It'll take 5 seconds and if its not that, no harm done.
I hear you when you say its not wheel related because it doesn't happen when freewheeling etc...but try it anyway, you can't be sure if when you're pedalling etc, that extra pressure is being exerted on the axles...maybe not explaining it well, but for the time it takes (seconds) , whats to lose ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom