Raleigh or Carrera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi I'm looking for a new bike either a hybrid or mountain bike

What's everyone's view of Carrera bikes or should I go for Raleigh ones?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Which particular models are you interested in? Please provide links.

Where and how will you be using the bike?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markstev27

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I like Carrera bikes, there's nothing wrong with them at all. I've not owned one myself but my daughter has and I've fixed a few (and tested them) for friends, I find that they're decent quality, fairly well equipped, perfectly legit bikes. Good value too. I've not had a look at a modern Raleigh so couldn't compare.

Of those two, the Carrera looks a bit better though, hydraulic discs for starters, it just looks better value.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Hellcat has hydraulic brakes over the Raleigh's cable operated so that's a immediate and worthwhile advantage, orthrwise they're evenly matched.
Weight wise they'll be lighter than your current bike but not hugely so.
We get a lot of people on here who buy a mountain bike and use it mainly on the road and find they're rather slow and heavy and then end up trying to make them faster by changing tyres, gears etc. I'd say from your description of your sort of riding you might be better off on a hybrid, even one without a suspension fork. It's really up to you. If you can beg or borrow a hybrid to see if it suits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markstev27

The Hellcat has hydraulic brakes over the Raleigh's cable operated so that's a immediate advantage, orthrwise they're evenly matched.
Weight wise they'll be lighter than your current bike but not hugely so.
We get a lot of people on here who buy a mountain bike and use it mainly on the road and find they're rather slow and heavy and then end up trying to make them faster by changing tyres, gears etc. I'd say from your description of your sort of riding you might be better off on a hybrid, even one without a suspension fork. It's really up to you. If you can beg or borrow a hybrid to see if it suits.
Thanks

Any recommendations for a hybrid bike?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hybrid bikes are split into two types, those which are nearer to mountain bikes with fatter tyres and suspension fork and those which are more like road bikes with narrower faster tyres and rigid fork. You could consider the Voodoo Marissa
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...s-hybrid-bike----18in-20in-frames-445471.html
which has chunkier tyres.

This would be one with faster tyres and road geometry:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc-120-flat-bar-disc-road-bike-blue-microshift/_/R-p-311239

The former should suit you well.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t get an entry level bike with suspension. Heavy, lower quality, energy sapping, unnecessary except for proper off roading.
Carrera Subway a better alternative or the Voodoo

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Voodoo Marasa should be perfect then ^_^

Only problem might be they only seem to have the 20”, you might be okay but you need to try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom