Raleigh Phoenix. What to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Picked this up off FB Market place for £25.This will be my first project/rebuild. I want to use this bike as a learning process. I think it's mid 80s can't find a s/n so I don't expect to make money. Can the experienced members tell me what a not standard on the bike, also the left fork legs is badly scratched so will I be able to get paint and transfers. TIA
IMG_20210625_145043.jpg
IMG_20210625_145012.jpg
IMG_20210625_145006.jpg
IMG_20210625_144950.jpg
IMG_20210625_144941.jpg
IMG_20210625_144933.jpg
IMG_20210625_144915.jpg
IMG_20210625_144907.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a pretty decent bike for twenty five notes. Looks all original except perhaps for the rear mech.
I should just paint the fork black, you'll struggle to get a good match.
It's quite a small size, does it fit you? Or do you just intend to sell it on?
Replace all the cables, inner and outer, check the wheels run true, replace the brake blocks and maybe the tyres if perished.
I'd say mid/late eighties is about the ballpark.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Worth getting it running. In the mid 90's Raleigh were knocking out some top drawer 4130 road and MTB frames that punched seripusly well above their price point. It will likely give a lively, but buttery smooth ride.

I belive the cromo frames of that era had some kind of powder coat finish, so a paint match is not terribly likely. Get Mrs Pusher to look at the nail varnishes in Boots for a match. To be fair though, its a great frame and very useable, and would be worth the investment to get it blasted and powder coated.

Last edited:

carpenter

Über Member
Looks like quite a deep set of gouges on the fork - may need a bit of wet and dry before attempting to paint.

I was in Halfords a few weeks ago and noticed that they sell a "chrome effect" spray paint (I was buying some zinc primer at the time). I have no idea whether chrome effect paints are any good, but you could try masking off the top of the forks and going for a half chromed effect fork?

edit: by the way, good bike for £25 :smile:

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
That's a pretty decent bike for twenty five notes. Looks all original except perhaps for the rear mech.
I should just paint the fork black, you'll struggle to get a good match.
It's quite a small size, does it fit you? Or do you just intend to sell it on?
Replace all the cables, inner and outer, check the wheels run true, replace the brake blocks and maybe the tyres if perished.
I'd say mid/late eighties is about the ballpark.
Not a chance I’m 6’ 1’’. I need to measure the frame but I’m guessing it’s a medium

OP
OP
Pedal pusher

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Looks like quite a deep set of gouges on the fork - may need a bit of wet and dry before attempting to paint.

I was in Halfords a few weeks ago and noticed that they sell a "chrome effect" spray paint (I was buying some zinc primer at the time). I have no idea whether chrome effect paints are any good, but you could try masking off the top of the forks and going for a half chromed effect fork?

I was thinking Kurust then filling with some king of filler. As somebody has already mentioned I’m probably not going to get a paint match but chrome paint from Halfrauds is a good call

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. Am I likely to be able to replace the transfers as some have peeled and are scratched.
These may have them,

https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/

You may not be able to get the exact model specific decals as the bike might be too 'new' for them (there are hundreds of Raleigh models)

Depends on the time and effort you put into preparing the surface. Also there are chrome sprays and chrome sprays, which can go up to silly prices, £100+. But don’t forget, platers wouldn’t go to all the effort of polishing, copper plating,, nickel and polish again, before the chrome flash, (it’s the nickel that does the protecting) if they could just spray it on.

Top Bottom