Raleigh Pioneer Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They even turn up down here. This is one I found in one of many street sales lots in nearby Madina. I didn’t know they did a ladies version.

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

The chap I bought mine from was selling a matching ladies one too. The wife wasn't interested though - ebike only for her^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In the UK at least, the ladies ones seem to be more common than the mens frames. They can make good mechanical donors to transfer the parts to a larger mens frame, as the rider is likely to be smaller and lighter, and the moving parts suffer less wear and tear.

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

In the UK at least, the ladies ones seem to be more common than the mens frames. They can make good mechanical donors to transfer the parts to a larger mens frame, as the rider is likely to be smaller and lighter, and the moving parts suffer less wear and tear.
I will bear that in mind as I will probably be looking for a second one in a few months when prices are more stable. Looking at a Trail perhaps due to the gearing etc, but will put road tyres and wheels on it . Went out for a hilly test ride on my classic on Sunday and the gearing wasn't quite enough to get me up the steeper climbs. Absolutely fantastic on the less hilly bits though and will now be my main commuter^_^

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

Nice solid bikes, you can lose a fair bit of weight by swapping out a lot of the standard steel components for Aluminium ones (bars, seatpost and crank)
I do like the solidness of the steel, and a couple of kilos isn't going to affect my ride much. I did have to change the seatpost so I could move my seating position backwards and got an aluminium one - a very noticeable difference made even more so by the much smaller saddle. The original one had enough springs and padding to sleep on!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I will bear that in mind as I will probably be looking for a second one in a few months when prices are more stable. Looking at a Trail perhaps due to the gearing etc, but will put road tyres and wheels on it . Went out for a hilly test ride on my classic on Sunday and the gearing wasn't quite enough to get me up the steeper climbs. Absolutely fantastic on the less hilly bits though and will now be my main commuter^_^

My Trail has the benefits of 21 speed, although the drawback for me was a 22/28/38 triple crankset. Changing that was a pain, requiring not just the crankset changing but also the front derailleur and bottom bracket - I now run 28/38/48 which is much easier for my type of riding.

If you need lower gears then it'd be ideal; the 22 small ring with a 28 sprocket should get up most things!

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

My Trail has the benefits of 21 speed, although the drawback for me was a 22/28/38 triple crankset. Changing that was a pain, requiring not just the crankset changing but also the front derailleur and bottom bracket - I now run 28/38/48 which is much easier for my type of riding.

If you need lower gears then it'd be ideal; the 22 small ring with a 28 sprocket should get up most things!
My other bike - which will likely fail completely soon- has the 28/38/48 which is what I would look to change to. Hopefully some of the bits from that bike would change over.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Pioneer Trail and Pioneer Jaguar are both nice bikes, with 28/38/48 triples and Reynolds 501 frames in the case of the lugged & brazed versions. The welded ones are generic 4130 cro-moly, which is semi-oversized and I believe only plain gauge not butted.
The Trail had MTB bars, so bar ends fit well if wanted. I've got a 1995 model Trail, one of the last lugged framed ones, and it's my go-to flat bar bike for longer rides. I particularly like the deep red paint, almost a flam finish.

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

So, I managed to find the Pioneer I wanted, a Spirit, for the princely sum of £22^_^. Right size, geometry and gearing so it should get me through the London to Brighton and similar rides. The chap I bought it off was middle-aged and said it belonged to his father originally. Any ideas on the age? The serial number on the BB is not legible.

Pioneer Pair.JPG

Apart from a derailleur issue the one thing I did notice is that it has a replacement rear wheel and it is way off centre
Pioneer Tyre Gap.JPG

Their is an extra nut/spacer that my classic doesn't have which could be the problem? Anyone have any experience of this? I don't want to just take the spacer out and tighten the nut up if this isn't the correct thing to do. I have seen this wheel on eBay and don't know if it the correct size, as mine have 700c tyres on?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Looks to be another early one, with the tall headtube and higher BB clearance. You need long legs to be able to stand astride those from the first couple of years production! As it's got canti brakes it wont be 1990, so is probably another 1991 or possibly 1992 bike. That pattern of frame had been superceded before 1993, so it can only have been made within a pretty short production timeline.

OP
OP
Wookee

Wookee

Looks to be another early one, with the tall headtube and higher BB clearance. You need long legs to be able to stand astride those from the first couple of years production! As it's got canti brakes it wont be 1990, so is probably another 1991 or possibly 1992 bike. That pattern of frame had been superceded before 1993, so it can only have been made within a pretty short production timeline.
Thanks John:okay: Fortunately I do have long legs and it fits me well. Any suggestions about the wheel issue?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So, I managed to find the Pioneer I wanted, a Spirit, for the princely sum of £22^_^. Right size, geometry and gearing so it should get me through the London to Brighton and similar rides. The chap I bought it off was middle-aged and said it belonged to his father originally. Any ideas on the age? The serial number on the BB is not legible.

View attachment 539591

Apart from a derailleur issue the one thing I did notice is that it has a replacement rear wheel and it is way off centre
View attachment 539593
Their is an extra nut/spacer that my classic doesn't have which could be the problem? Anyone have any experience of this? I don't want to just take the spacer out and tighten the nut up if this isn't the correct thing to do. I have seen this wheel on eBay and don't know if it the correct size, as mine have 700c tyres on?
Nah that wheel is a 27" whereas you have 700c, that big nut was a factory bodge, instead of fitting a thin cone nut they used normal nuts to increase the width of the hub* to fit a wider spaced rear triangle.

* they'd probably got thousands of those hubs to use up.

Top Bottom