Raleigh Pioneer-older ones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for a light touring come hack type bike for the better half for a reasonable price and there's one of these for sale in the 'bay close to us;it's this 'un;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-P...712240?hash=item1c6f704230:g:shIAAOSwxg5X1aW7

Seem to have a good reputation but does anyone on here have one they use regularly and if so what's it like?

Would probably upgrade the drivetrain for some s/h Deore and as it has cantis a drop bar with shifters conversion should be fairly straightforward I hope(already have a quill/stem converter).

And if the wheels are fine would slap some Voyager hypers on as well.

So in essence worth it or not? It's not got to look pristine just an unassuming work-horse.

snorri

Legendary Member
I bought mine new around 20 years ago and feel a bit offended that anyone would consider it to be worth only £30.:sad:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They are nice, solid bikes, ime (although I have a slight preference for the lary paintjobbed late 80's/early 90's ones).

The wheels are heavy, and the brakes/integrated shifters not always great, so I think you have your planned upgrades about right. It'll make a solid runabout.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Check for rust. I had a 92 pioneer trail which rusted fairly badly around the bottom bracket. The seat post was also fused in the frame about a centimetre too low and all efforts to remove it were unsuccessful.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Looking for a light touring come hack type bike for the better half for a reasonable price and there's one of these for sale in the 'bay close to us;it's this 'un;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-P...712240?hash=item1c6f704230:g:shIAAOSwxg5X1aW7

Seem to have a good reputation but does anyone on here have one they use regularly and if so what's it like?

Would probably upgrade the drivetrain for some s/h Deore and as it has cantis a drop bar with shifters conversion should be fairly straightforward I hope(already have a quill/stem converter).

And if the wheels are fine would slap some Voyager hypers on as well.

So in essence worth it or not? It's not got to look pristine just an unassuming work-horse.

I have a '91 Raleigh Pioneer, lovely solid bike, apart from upgrading the brakes and some other minor modifications there was little else I needed to do to it, I would like to know what the "reserve" is, the asking price seems to be around £90 although I only gave £35 for mine.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As is well documented on here I've got a Pioneer Jaguar which I love to bits and have upgraded over the last few years. On paper it's a heavy bike but it doesn't ride like it and will eat up the miles (I did a hilly 130 miler with it last year).

Looking at the one in the link it's going to be about the same age as mine but the bolt on gear hanger tells me it's a lower spec frame so I don't know whether that will make a difference.

I'm running Vittoria Voyager Hypers and would say they are a good choice. If choosing again I'd go for the 32mm version.

Top Bottom