Raleigh pro race 501, for someone with long legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

southcoast

Über Member
It’s the jolly green giants bike?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I reckon that’s early ‘80s and I reckon that is a 25” frame. Raleigh went through a period of making a lot of this size frame. Thing is for the frame ‘size’ the top-tube is actually quite short. Too short for a giant. You were meant to ride them with very little seat post showing. I’m 5’9” and could probably ride it just fine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I reckon that’s early ‘80s and I reckon that is a 25” frame. Raleigh went through a period of making a lot of this size frame. Thing is for the frame ‘size’ the top-tube is actually quite short. Too short for a giant. You were meant to ride them with very little seat post showing. I’m 5’9” and could probably ride it just fine.
Would you have 'standover' clearance though :ohmy:

do you mean early 90s?

midlife

Guru
Way back Carlton had the "Longfellow"....... About 30% more than the smaller ones !!

Way back Carlton had the "Longfellow"....... About 30% more than the smaller ones !!
Longfellow! Gods, I've been trying to think of that name for months!

Well the 25” frames were certainly around in ‘83. They may have lasted the decade. There are a lot of black and gold Raleigh Record Sprints around in those dimensions too.
Mine is an '89 or '90 (in black, white and orange), the black and yellow model is later, (maybe 92/93?) hence the fully indexed gears

Wakey

Regular
Raleigh pro race was a nice enough bike of it's type. Rubbish brakes and wheels but add a couple of Mavics and an upgrade or two and they really were a nice ride. Very under rated imo. 501 frame was a bit heavy but the whole thing was great for an entry level bike. The white/black/orange version was a lot better looking though.

Raleigh pro race was a nice enough bike of it's type. Rubbish brakes and wheels but add a couple of Mavics and an upgrade or two and they really were a nice ride. Very under rated imo. 501 frame was a bit heavy but the whole thing was great for an entry level bike. The white/black/orange version was a lot better looking though.
Mine's running an 8 speed (mostly) claris set up as a light tourer so weight isn't such a big issue

Top Bottom