Raleigh Pro Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard
Problems, problems...

Well, I've had a few days where nothing seemed to go right, it's becoming a little frustrating, frankly!
First, the rsx brake shifters I was going to use on the Raleigh decided to break (rather than brake): I was removing them from my Claud winter ride that they've been residing on, when the cable jammed inside the RH one. I took the front off and pulled the cable out, but when I was checking everything was still working ok, somehow a spring disconnected from the pawl that holds everything while changing up. The spring is so tiny I can't even see it without glasses and a magnifier, and I have no idea how it goes back on, or even if it's broken.

I then discovered that the rsx group I'd bought ages ago had a 31.8mm front clamp (I think I might've known this and forgotten), and also found that the brakes have too short a drop on them.
No matter, I had a pair of RX100 brakes which I used instead; I also found I had RX100 front and rear dérailleurs so put those on so that there's most of a group on the bike.

Then yesterday, I was about to connect up the cables (I had a spare pair of modern brake shifters I was going to use until I could repair my rsx shifters) and discovered that the cable clamp nut was missing from the rear derailleur! I'm sure it had one when I bought it but I can't find it in the box in which it was stored. Consequently I've resorted to a long cage deore of about the same age, until I can work out what's what. If I go ahead and buy a 32t freewheel to fit to it, I think a short cage might not have the chain wrap capacity anyway, what with the crank rings being 50-34 and all, but my original choice rsx derailleur is a long cage.

At least I can prove to my partner that my hoarding instinct is good: I've been keeping my eye on ebay through the winter and buying bits that I think are a good price that I might use, so thank gods for the spares! And last night I managed to pick up another pair of rsx shifters for a good price, so things should be moving on now.

If anyone happens to have a conical cable clamp nut from a late 80s or 90s shimano derailleur, or knows where I might get one then please let me know. Looks like this:
shimano%20clamp%20nut_zpsdnmklk2q.jpg

There seem to be two variations from this period, a nut like mine, or a bolt that looks similar

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Finally got the Pro Race somewhere near finished: Rx100 crank with 50-34t rings, 7 speed 13-28t, Rx100 brake calipers, Microshift brake shifters, and I think my favourite bit - the cutest pair of rx100 pedals.

Took it out for a 6 mile shakedown ride this morning, everything worked very well apart from the front brake caliper (I know I haven't been out on a bike for a couple of weeks, but at one point I thought I was riding up hill!). I'd kinda sorted it when some idiot in a Merc overtook then stopped dead right in front of me. I braked so hard it locked up completely and I had to employ the qr lever to open it up enough to get home! Otherwise it was a really enjoyable, smooth ride, and everything else worked beautifully.

IMAG0313_zpsey1wm5nj.jpg

Pr
IMAG0310_zpspybjiujj.jpg
IMAG0312_zpsdifpfd6e.jpg

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Another 8 miles this morning after a few adjustments and it now rides like a hot knife through butter. And I'm quite impressed by the Schwalbe Lugano tyres I bought it too, especially when they only cost me £15 for the pair!

Edit: damn, I've just discovered the tyres now come in a tan wall [they call it beige] too! Looks same colour as the tyres Spokesmann's Flyer

Last edited:
Top Bottom