Raleigh Record - Sprint or not a Sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funky

Regular
Hi Good People.
Without going into incredible detail, but some would be nice, could anyone give me an idea what the main differences are between a Raleigh Record, and a Raleigh Record Sprint of the same era. We're talking about 1980 ish.
For example, tubing seems to be Reynolds 501 or 531 on the sprint.
Nothing on the non Sprint, so how much of a difference can that make?
Anyway, if anybody has any solid facts I'd be grateful.
Cheers!

OP
OP
Funky

Funky

Regular
Well, I didn't win the auction, so my interest in Raleigh records has waned. But, I still wonder what the quality gap is.
Tish Pum!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH I bet you couldn't tell the difference, the 'standard' Hi-Ten tubing is slightly heavier but that's about it. The main difference is the 501 and especially the 531 frames came with much better components from the factory (and they dropped the weight even more)

GuyBoden

Guru
There's a lot of Gold on the Record Sprint, so it goes faster, I have a mint one, they look nice, but I never ride it.......................It's the Ultimate School Boy Racer.........

There was a nice mint Raleigh Record Sprint on RetroBike years back, with the black paint still on the rims:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=290409

20140316_110211.jpg

RRSFrontCaliper216-03-14.jpg

RRSRim216-03-14.jpg

Last edited:

mikeymustard

Veteran
I seem to recall the amount of gold on the Sprint diminished year by year?
I was given a sprint frame as a warranty replacement for a Quasar (snapped chainstay) in about '91 or '92 and it was plain, dull black. The gold ones in good condition seem to fetch pretty high prices

OP
OP
Funky

Funky

Regular
Hey Y'all. Thanks for all the opinions. I noticed the gold on the Sprints. Nice looking beast. I'll wait for the right bike. That one was too big for me, but was gonna be done up and moved on. Part of a learning curve. Is it me or is it all old road bikes that have survived are huge frames? I'm 5'5". Finding an old road bike cheap under 22" frame is like the Holy Grail. Anyway, one day it will happen.

fungalcycle

Is it true that in that era some bikes were made in the UK while others were made in Taiwan by Merida?
I had two of them at a time, one may have been late 70s the other early 80s and looked as the attention to detail was much better on the older one. Both were good bikes but the newer one seemed to be made by a different manufacturer.
The one was sold/traded the other was stolen, which left a soft spot for wanting one back since then.

GuyBoden

Guru
Is it true that in that era some bikes were made in the UK while others were made in Taiwan by Merida?
I had two of them at a time, one may have been late 70s the other early 80s and looked as the attention to detail was much better on the older one. Both were good bikes but the newer one seemed to be made by a different manufacturer.
The one was sold/traded the other was stolen, which left a soft spot for wanting one back since then.

USA Raleigh Cycle Company manufactured bikes in Asia during the 1980's, but not the UK Raleigh Cycle Company.

Goldie

Über Member
That one was too big for me, but was gonna be done up and moved on. Part of a learning curve. Is it me or is it all old road bikes that have survived are huge frames?
This is so true. Record Sprints always seem to be massive, 25 inch framed beasts. Maybe the smaller sizes were all written off by their speed crazed teenage owners?

More of these for those of us blessed with long legs then. :whistle: :becool: View attachment 401852

Oh and BTW this is a 531c 'Road - Ace'
Hello! I'm new to this site, but found the above chat on a Google search of 'Raleigh Record Sprint'. I have finally decided to sell my old one, as it is just sitting in my garage, unridden. It is of the type in the brochure photo with the red and yellow stripes along the top. I thought I bought it in 1981, but possibly a year or two earlier. It is pretty much original, just has new handlebar tape and a new saddle, (which I will keep), although I may well have the original one somewhere. It also has new tyres. I rode it until about 3 years ago and it only needs a little tweaking with the gears. It is in good, used condition. Not pristine, but frame has virtually no chips and all gold items still present. I am 5'5". I was planning on putting it on ebay soon, so if anyone is interested or knows anyone who might be...

Top Bottom