Raleigh Red or Dead Seaspray (step-through hybrid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noru

Hi there,

My girlfriend doesn't currently cycle. However she's started a new health kick and I thought I'd buy her a bike as a present so we can cycle together. Nothing to break the bank in case she decides it's not for her but not something that will put her off, like using her old 1990s mtb.

I've spotted a new old stock Raleigh Red or Dead Seaspray for sale which looks just the trick.

Raleigh Seaspray features; http://www.evanscycles.com/products...ray-2011-womens-hybrid-bike-ec026587#features
Does the spec look ok or is this bike a case of style over substance?
It would mostly be used for traffic free routes such as trails on disused railway line tracks & tow paths etc.

I was going to get her one as a surprise but I've decided it's not the best idea to buy one without her testing it.

Also any hints & tips for choosing the right size step-through frame would be greatly appreciated.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Raleigh looks like a basic steel hybrid with budget, but mostly branded, components.

A triple is a good choice for a new cyclist.

@annedonnelly has had good service from a cheapish step through from Edinburgh Bicycles - she may be able to tell you about that.

Choosing the right size is the same for any bike.

Get the approximate saddle height by sitting girlfriend on the bike with her heel on the pedal at its lowest point with her leg fully extended.

An upright position is probably best, so you want the saddle to be about level with the handlebars, or even a bit lower for a really laid back position.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Mine is the 2008 version of this. It's been absolutely perfect for me. Quite happy on the road or on canal paths/disused railways.

As you say, probably best if your girlfriend tries it out for herself.

Top Bottom