Raleigh Roadster - help with ID and age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

El10

Hi - can anybody help with information about a large Raleigh Roadster I have? I'm having a great deal of trouble pinning down the age of the thing. I posted my request elsewhere -

http://www.raleighbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=723

I can't find a reference number anywhere, and the only indication that it's a Raleigh is the "The Raleigh, Nottingham" badge (worn). The gear lever is some type of barrel affair on right handlebar.

Hopefully, someone here will have a look at the photo and enlighten me! I obviously don't ride the bicycle (I'm not even sure whether it's in rideable condition), altho it looks good and sturdy. I'd welcome any advice about what can be done with it, because at the moment it's just gathering dust.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
the rear hub may have a date stamped on it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you can post a photo of the logo on the rear hub (assuming it's a Sturmey-Archer of some kind) then it can be dated to within a reasonable margin. It may be a K- or X-type hub. These don't have a neutral position between normal and high gear like the AW does, but they wore out quicker and replacement parts are going to be pretty much impossible.

OP
OP
E

El10

rogerzilla said:
If you can post a photo of the logo on the rear hub (assuming it's a Sturmey-Archer of some kind) then it can be dated to within a reasonable margin. It may be a K- or X-type hub. These don't have a neutral position between normal and high gear like the AW does, but they wore out quicker and replacement parts are going to be pretty much impossible.

Ok - I followed some advice, looked PROPERLY this time, and made a bit of progress: there are numbers on the rear hub, something like - ?676369. I only managed to trace the numbers through lots of oil and gunk, and haven't seen a logo - maybe it's there underneath the oil and gunk. I've also found numbers on the frame near the lug below the seatpost. I think they are ?(could be a 6 or a letter)71276. I'm still none the wiser, of course, but maybe those numbers mean something to someone here.

tyred

Legendary Member
The hub should have a date. The saddle may even have a date (look under the rail at the back where the leather is riveted on). The fact that you have a handlebar mounted shifter would suggest post war as pre war had a cross bar mounted shifter. I don't know the year it happened but the design of the rod for the rear brake also changed. On later models, it goes straight down the front of the headtube whereas on older bikes, it is to the side.

Top Bottom