Raleigh Royal rebuild - beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmgraham8

Attachments

• IMG_1841 e.jpg
    IMG_1841 e.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 32

weareHKR

Looks in fairly decent condition... :smile:
There's plenty of knowledge in here mate, just ask away... 🔧👩‍🎓

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yep. Let me share my knowledge:

Those big round-bouncy bits, well they go in the little rusty-hooky bits, and the spikey diggy-shinny ringy-thingys, well they need some special metal rope to make them go to be connected with the the other spiky bit that will be covered in what was used to be called lubrificant but now mainly contains pieces of road.

I shall be along later when you've completed this part

Shout if I'm getting over-technical BTW - took me ages to reach this level :smile:

OP
OP
dmgraham8

dmgraham8

Ok, questions.. as posed in the other thread:

1. Wheel size - how do I know what fits?

2. Wheel set - any suggestions for good value wheels in keeping with an old tourer like this?

3. Do I need to expand the 125 dropout to 130 as I have read elsewhere?

4. How do I choose a cassette/gearing? I will use it mainly for commuting with some hilly rides at weekends but nothing too strenuous.

That will do for a start! There are more picture in theother thread mentioned above.

Many thanks
David

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You're a natural mate :smile:

In all seriousness, re wheels, gears, ratios etc, have a look at the site of an operation called Spa Cycles, and once you have had a look around, possibly give them a call - they're a 'proper' bike shop, and really geared up (groan here...) for touring-type cycles, and will dispense their (occasionally tough) expertise for nowt - but for instance their wheels are very highly thought of, and not expensive for handbuilt items.

Cycling UK's Forum is also a haven for touring cyclists who will also have a heated argument with each other, but dispense good advice too.

(Oh and yes, to re-spacing the rear dropouts, I'd suggest - 130mm gives more options re hubs.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ok, questions.. as posed in the other thread:

1. Wheel size - how do I know what fits?

2. Wheel set - any suggestions for good value wheels in keeping with an old tourer like this?

3. Do I need to expand the 125 dropout to 130 as I have read elsewhere?

4. How do I choose a cassette/gearing? I will use it mainly for commuting with some hilly rides at weekends but nothing too strenuous.

:welcome: . Don't ask me, I know nothing :whistle:

1. Wheel size: the tyre size should be able to tell you. It'll either be 28" / 700c / 622 or 27 1/4" / 630 on it.

2. You'll need wheels which will take a freewheel. It should be possible to find ones with 125 or 126mm dropout width. eBay / Bankrupt Bike Parts (https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/) have them in stock.

3. Widening it to 130 is possible but not necessary. It does give you options for more types of modern wheels.

4. It's a freewheel you'll need not a cassette on that age of bike. Typical freewheels are 5-8 speed but yours will probably be 6 or 7 speed. If it's indexed with 6 clicks it's a 7 speed one (I think!). Otherwise choose your speed if it's not indexed. Ranges of freewheels vary, with traditional ones being 14-28 although now you can get 11-28 or similar. The long cage derailleur above should be able to take that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The best thing to do is to find the frame number which should be on the bottom bracket once decoded Wil give you the age , then look on line for same year catalogue that will answer some of your questions @dmgraham8
Answers
1. Look at sidewall of the front tyre and that should give you the size presuming it's the original one .
2. Depends on size , once you have the size try your local bike shops .
3 . Depends upon on what wheels you fit .
4. I would think original would have been a 6 speed so look for a 28 - 13 .

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The 531st sticker gives its age (1980's as you say) and the ST is super tourer - I think it was a slightly thicker gauge tubing from memory.

(there is a poster with the history of Raleigh stickers somewhere on the internet)

The frame is for a tallish person - I'm guessing that is a 24".

Top Bottom