Raleigh Sabre - Worth a Look?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elyrunner

As a result of a conversation at work, I've been offered an "18 speed metallic blue Raleigh mountain bike" for peanuts. Unfortunately the person who was telling me isn't into bikes and doesn't know much about it, other than saying it's in very good condition and has hardly ever been used. Thanks to Google I've sort of deduced they might be referring to a Sabre, which I'm not familiar with myself either.
Has anyone on here got one themselves or got an opinion on them? Roughly when were they made, what sort of price were they new, and what sort of gearset ratios can I expect. in terms of rear cluster and front chainrings? The last Raleigh I owned was very decently built, if a bit heavy, but it was over 30 years ago. Are they still building decent basic bikes or are they BSO's now with Raleigh decals on them? The reason for all the silly questions is if I go to have a look at it, it's going to cost me a good couple of gallons of fuel and a morning of my time for the round trip as it's not nearby. I don't want to go on a fool's errand for something no better than the MTB cheapies I already have, but I also don't want to pass it over if I'm being offered a genuine bargain.
Strange you say that I obtained a Raleigh racer yesterday which according to the frame says it's a Golden Sabre but I can't find anything out about itt so far and the strange thing is the handle bars are sat back to front but again have no idea why other than it was altered by the previous owners but as picked it up from a charity I have no idea who that was.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
I'm not familiar with the model of "racer" you have, but generally Raleighs are fairly well documented and the age and other details can often be unearthed with a bit of detective work. I don't know if you have made enough posts yet to be able to attach photos, but I would suggest you start a new thread in the vintage & classic section of the forum and put some pictures up as they can often tell a lot more than words.
Several more old Raleighs have joined my stable since that Sabre, so be warned they can easily multiply once you get one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Strange you say that I obtained a Raleigh racer yesterday which according to the frame says it's a Golden Sabre but I can't find anything out about itt so far and the strange thing is the handle bars are sat back to front but again have no idea why other than it was altered by the previous owners but as picked it up from a charity I have no idea who that was.
Quite common in the 70's to 'flip' drops over for a more upright riding position.

There was also this abomination

1605931706716.png

And yes that was 'factory'

elyrunner

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
I'm not familiar with the model of "racer" you have, but generally Raleighs are fairly well documented and the age and other details can often be unearthed with a bit of detective work. I don't know if you have made enough posts yet to be able to attach photos, but I would suggest you start a new thread in the vintage & classic section of the forum and put some pictures up as they can often tell a lot more than words.
Several more old Raleighs have joined my stable since that Sabre, so be warned they can easily multiply once you get one.
Yes I've been collecting some oldies I have the Sabre and a BSA Star Flyer aswell as my own bicycle but I've also picked up a Triumph traffic master which I'd never heard of.

elyrunner

Afternoon all just to let you know I think I've solved the mystery of the handlebar position. After taking some advice I turned the bar head around to find there is simply not enough room to use the bicycle without being in danger of hitting your legs. Maybe I need to consider a new M bar at the front opinions appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Afternoon all just to let you know I think I've solved the mystery of the handlebar position. After taking some advice I turned the bar head around to find there is simply not enough room to use the bicycle without being in danger of hitting your legs. Maybe I need to consider a new M bar at the front opinions appreciated.
You need to remove the handlebars from the stem and insert them correctly with the stem facing forward, you cannot just rotate them in the forks.

Top Bottom