Raleigh - Sports, Superbe, Wayfarer or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Late 60's to early 72, lightweights only.
Aside from one model, Raleigh Carlton, in 82.

Thanks, although that makes it odder. It's definately an 'all steel bicycle' frame as it's not 'lightweight' but doesn't match the Sports / Superbe logo's, shifters or mudguards although they could be later changes.

midlife

Guru
Looks like the aforementioned anniversary badge as classic33 says, wonder if it was an export? That would be a sport model in the USA...

classic33

Leg End Member
Chain guard isn't for that frame, it's the wrong size. Too far forward. Also too "new" when compared to the rest of the frame.

I'm leaning towards a 1972 "Superbe".
The frame number location, 1970 - 72.
The head tube badge, late 60's to '72.

Is there a lock on the left hand side?
It's possible that the gear shift lever was mounted on the top tube, routed over a guide, down to the hub.

Is the dyno hub a Sturmey Archer GH6.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Chain guard isn't for that frame, it's the wrong size. Too far forward. Also too "new" when compared to the rest of the frame.

It's possible that the gear shift lever was mounted on the top tube, routed over a guide, down to the hub.

A Superbe would have a Leather Brooks though, not a 'mattress' Brooks.

Raleigh made the 'lightweights' well into the 80's, my own heavily modified one was built in 86.

All that's left of the original bike is the Frame, Brake levers/Gearshift and rear Hub

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

The Sturmey Archer hub has 11 / 66 on it, that's all, which matches the rear wheel. There's no lock on the left-hand side and no evidence of a gear shift on the top tube either.

I'm guessing the saddle's not original, nor are the wheels. The gear shift is one of the early 3 speed twist shift HSJ658 type from a Raleigh Twenty or similar so that's probably not original either.

It's an oddity.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Sturmey Archer hub has 11 / 66 on it, that's all, which matches the rear wheel. There's no lock on the left-hand side and no evidence of a gear shift on the top tube either.

I'm guessing the saddle's not original, nor are the wheels. The gear shift is one of the early 3 speed twist shift HSJ658 type from a Raleigh Twenty or similar so that's probably not original either.

It's an oddity.
Yep it certainly is, the red 'R' on the seatstay screams 70's at me (very 'chopper'esque) but 66 dating on both the hubs says earlier.i'm struggling to see a way that a frame could be damaged without the wheels being trashed if someone was building a 'bitsa' or replacing parts on their own bike though.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Very slow progress on this due to workload but the metal is cleaned and a new front tyre on plus replacement saddle.

The rear tube valve us seized so needs sawing off - a job over Christmas - then the rear tyre can go on.

Frame's ready for decals if they go back on: these are what's there ...

PXL_20201218_163033546.jpg

1950's-style.seat tube frame decal

PXL_20201218_163027407.jpg

1968-72 seat tube heron logo

PXL_20201218_162906315.jpg

Not-a-clue downtube decal (1970's ?) that I can't match.

With brake pads on their way and cables going on as well over Christmas this might be finished soon.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Very slow progress on this due to workload but the metal is cleaned and a new front tyre on plus replacement saddle.

The rear tube valve us seized so needs sawing off - a job over Christmas - then the rear tyre can go on.
Frame's ready for decals if they go back on: these are what's there ...

View attachment 563926
1950's-style.seat tube frame decal

With brake pads on their way and cables going on as well over Christmas this might be finished soon.

Those tubing stickers survived later than you might think. Whilst they could have originated in the 1950's, my rod-braked Raleigh also has one and it has an early 1974 frame number!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Progress: stuck valve sawn off with new tube and tyre on the rear wheel. New brake pads are on. And that's about it :blush:

I've got the stuck gear shifter bolt moving, after a week of soaking, so it's ready for the new gear cable that's arrived. I'll also change the brake cables. They're all going from white to black as a white Sturmey Archer cable was £20 whereas a black one was £4.

The rear hub's been re-greased with new bearings and the Sturmey Archer 3-speed cleaned and is now sat in it's first bath of oil for at least 40 years. That should make things move easier. The front's been re-greased as well with new bearings.

The LH crank is fine - needing just a good clean - but the RH one's rusty. I can't source one in the meagre budget so it's being painted. Looks OK-ish so far.

Pedals are off. The RH one is fine but the LH's lost the cap and is all seized. That's soaking in penetrating oil and hopefully I'll be able to get the bearings changed. If not there's a pair of cheap black pedals to go on.

Oh, and the replacement decals have arrived.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I've not updated this thread since December, but I have been ... very slowly ... working on this. It's finished:

DSC00075.JPG

To date, on an extreme budget, I've:

- Changed the gear and brake cables with old ribbed outers and new brake pads
- New Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres and new inner tubes
- Replaced the chain. OK, so it's a green PlanetX one but I was on a budget :whistle:
- Replaced the damaged saddle with a retro-style city saddle
- All paintwork / metalwork cleaned up, hand-grips cleaned with the RH crank painted as it had rusted completely, new black plastic pedals
- New decals on the downtube and seat-tube
- Wheels greased and Sturmey Archer hub re-oiled

I'm done although not happy with the gear change; that'll be adjusted over the next day or so. The dynamo's also spinning too slowly - it did work but needs a proper looking at.

However, the sun's out and I'm being pressured by SWMBO about too many bikes, although I've sold one recently and another should sell on eBay today. Time for this to be moved on ...

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Pity you're not keeping hold of it yourself after all that effort. It's turned out rather better than I was expecting. Everyone needs a 3-speed Raleigh in their shed for those casual hop on and go sort of rides. Low maintenance everyday cycling at it's best.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@SkipdiverJohn if the Raleigh doesn't sell I'll have an excuse to keep working on it. I'd like to get the dynamo properly working.

The challenge is explaining to SWMBO why I've this Raleigh, a Raleigh Pioneer (that she tried to give to my neighbour without asking me :angry: ) and a Dawes Kingpin when most of my riding's done on road bikes. Which I've quite a few of.

The second is that my bike storage is full. It'll take 12 bikes and I've squashed 14 in the storage unit. This Raleigh, the Kingpin, my Pioneer and my son's Carlton are currently stored outside, together with a bike I've sold and hasn't been collected. With another in the house on the smart turbo and a track bike in the conservatory we're over-full and some need to go unfortunately.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The challenge is explaining to SWMBO why I've this Raleigh, a Raleigh Pioneer (that she tried to give to my neighbour without asking me :angry: ) and a Dawes Kingpin when most of my riding's done on road bikes. Which I've quite a few of.

Maybe you've got too many modern road bikes, and that's the real issue? :laugh:
The 3-speed, the Pioneer, and Kingpin, whilst all utilitarian, excel at slightly different things. For covering hilly terrain, it's the Pioneer. For low maintenance it's the 3-speed hands down. For a car/bike journey it's the Kingpin. We're fortunate in recent years to be able to have picked up such a varied range of useful bikes cheaply, and haven't needed to settle for a do-it-all single machine. Even that Ascender MTB you briefly had was another practical runabout.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Maybe you've got too many modern road bikes, and that's the real issue? :laugh:

I'd agree about the versatility, although I live on the top of a steep hill. Everywhere here is climbing.

The road bikes are down to having a son who competes in several disciplines; road / TT / track / hillclimb and using a different bike for each type of event. I've then decided to have a go so have my own track/TT bikes. And they all take up space!

Top Bottom