Raleigh sprint ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Where's the rest of it. :rolleyes:

GuyBoden

Guru
No nothing about this but it looked interesting enough to share with you all..http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Velo-de-cour...161554?hash=item36162b2a12:g:iBIAAOSwhQhY7eC6

I've got a mint condition 1986 Raleigh Record Sprint, that's hardly been ridden, they look nice in black and gold, but there were much better bikes around at the time. They have Reynold's 501, seam welded tubing, that's ok, but scratches the seat tube. My bike looks very nice and shines beautifully in the sun, I'll take it out for it's annual ride on a sunny day.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This was produced in the early seventies to try and cash in on the success of the John Player (cigarettes) F1 team who had black and gold cars. Ford also produced a car in the same colours. The Raleigh was nothing special being made from Reynolds 501 budget tubing and mid spec components. The bike in the ad has undergone a number of changes by the look of it. Should look like this:
Picture159.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
This was produced in the early seventies to try and cash in on the success of the John Player (cigarettes) F1 team who had black and gold cars. Ford also produced a car in the same colours. The Raleigh was nothing special being made from Reynolds 501 budget tubing and mid spec components. The bike in the ad has undergone a number of changes by the look of it. Should look like this:
View attachment 347095

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=328467
file.php?id=323132.jpg

I think you'll find that they were built in the 1980's, I'm guessing that's 1984/85, it has the weak crank/chainset that snaps off the chainring. 1986 had the better quality Sugino chainset.

Attachments

• picture159-jpg.347095.jpg
    picture159-jpg.347095.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Seem to remember the Record Sprint with all the gold arriving at the 1978 Harrogate Show but may be wrong :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
That was an interesting conversation thanks guys, and for more than one reason. When Cyclops mentioned John Player Formula one team l was transported back to a time (in the 1970's) when l worked in an advertising agency in London as a very young fella. We designed the famous or infamous cigarette"Black Pack" JPS ...John Player Special . Boy those were the days !

Drago

Legendary Member
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yes thats true but the formula one all black Lotus that was sponsored by John Player was what we were concerned with. It all went horribly wrong when there were a number of bad crashes and sad to say, deaths remember Jochen Rindt and others. The JPS special cars and by association the black pack cigarette packs became bad news. End of story!

Top Bottom