Raleigh Twenty FE arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With thoughts of Paris-Brest-Paris 2019 in mind, although I'd really prefer to ride it on a vintage 1930's-1950's French road bike in period kit, I picked up this Raleigh Twenty today:

DSCF5552.JPG

FE = fully equipped, with Brooks white saddle, twist-grip gear change, kickstand, rubber pedals, lights, back holder and a pump.

Having ridden the Twenty up and down the road the rear brake doesn't work (cable appears stuck inside) and there's a rear spoke gone. Also the gears are a little sticky, which may be from lack of use. Apart from some paint scrapes it's all otherwise OK.

The 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub is dated 2-75 so I'm presuming it's from 1975. UK bike given the tyres are 451's which have lots of tread

Plans? Fix the rear spoke (length - I haven't a clue!), get the gears and rear brake working. Then see. It'll need faster road tyres for PBP but I've no intention of modernising a retro bike. Either it is suitable for a long-distance audax or not imho, so out onto the 200km circuit it'll go later this year.

Last edited:
I like a Raleigh twenty , I have been known to own a couple

Nice original looking example, should clean up a treat. I must admit to having a liking for Twenties and their ilk. There is an active Raleigh Twenty public Facebook page if you fancy a look. There are usually a few group rides each year that are very informal and inclusive. You're quite likely to see a mixture of R20's and badged equivalents, Dawes kingpins, sometimes a Royal Enfield Revelation or two, and perhaps Moultons.

Edited to add, its quite common to up the size or the rear sprocket. I think I've got a 20t on my most used Kingpin.

rrarider

Veteran
Your Twenty looks to be in fine condition. I had to Google search for the abbreviation PBP and having ascertained which ride it refers to, have to say that I admire your spirit in even contemplating such a ride on a bike like that.

I recently obtained a very similar '82 Raleigh Shopper for the sole purpose of making short trips to do the shopping. This saves me from worrying about getting my '84 Record Ace stolen and allows me to wear everyday clothes when riding the bike. I was determined to hate the bike but have to admit that it's growing on me. I find it very slow compared to the Ace but does give me some exercise when the weather's poor and saves on car park charges. It's flat round here, so if anything I would try to put a sprocket on the rear hub with one less tooth. I never need gear 1 and 2 and 3 could benefit from a couple more inches on the gear. All I've had to do to the shopper was change the tyres, clean the chain and add a bell. I've adapted the rear carrier to take a plate with 3 fixed pieces of 10mm studding, so that I can quickly fix a box with wing nuts to carry shopping Here it is with a small box and a large box attached.
shopper4.jpg

Attachments

• shopper3a-002.jpg
    shopper3a-002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Your Twenty looks to be in fine condition. I had to Google search for the abbreviation PBP and having ascertained which ride it refers to, have to say that I admire your spirit in even contemplating such a ride on a bike like that.

Thanks. I've been known to do mad things like this, but riding 765 miles in 4 days on a Raleigh Twenty would be about the maddest.

They're a shopping bike, which you've bought one to do, and this is taking it to an extreme.

Top Bottom