Raleigh wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2pies

Veteran
What are the genereal thoughts on these? I ask because I've been given conflicting advice.

The Pro shop where I bought my bike went a great way to explain why wheels were the most important component on a bike and you should invest as much as you can. My bike came with Mavic rims and Shimano hub so they recommened replacing it like for like or slightly upgrading it.

A local bike repair shop said that was nonsense. A basic Raleigh wheel would be perfectly fine for commuting and Sunday riding and the difference (weight, durability etc.) between a £55 off the shelf Raleigh wheel was neglible from a £100+ branded wheel, you're essentially paying for the labels.

For a Spec. Tricross, BTW. The rear wheel is slightly pancaked/elliptical, I probably buckled it on a pot hole. Its ridable but I'm told its unlikely that it can be trued. Its getting a little uncomfortable bouncing up and down - I have a slight ache in my back that isn't going away.

What sayeth thou?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
A basic Raleigh wheel would be perfectly fine for commuting and Sunday riding and the difference (weight, durability etc.) between a £55 off the shelf Raleigh wheel was neglible from a £100+ branded wheel, you're essentially paying for the labels.

The cheaper Raleigh wheels will be heavier than other, more expensive, ones (e.g., fulcrum 7's or 5's). Reducing rotating weight is important, as this has a massive effect on the work required.

The Raleigh wheelset would be fine for commuting, but I wouldn't use them for speedy weekend rides.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a pair of decathlon wheels on one of my road bikes, they were fairly basic Rigida rims with unbranded hubs. When I changed to Mavic Aksiums which were not that much lighter, there was a percievable difference. Also the cheap ones seemed to require constant fettling to keep them true where as the Mavics seem to be very robust after quite a few thousand miles.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Never had a problem with mine, rode over 12000 miles on an Airlite 200 wheels set and nevr had to get them trued up. Cant attest to weight argument as nevr tried any other wheels but could avarage a 100 mile in 6 hours ride time so was a happy lilttle (ok Maybe not so) cyclist.

Sparkyman

gbb

Legendary Member
Like Sparkyman, i had a Raleigh Chimera with rigida rims and unbranded hubs. Strong as you like, never went out of true, only adjusted the hubs once or twice in circa 6000 miles, quite free running.
The tester is when i got my Bianchi with the WS32 wheels. Not expensive, prettier looking but still budget wheels IMO. There was precious little, if any, difference in my longer ride times..it made no difference whatsoever.
Lighter wheels should be better for hills etc...but the difference is negligable at the lower price points (IMO)

Further along the scale, i now have Fulcrum 5s. at the end of the day, they're still modest wheels but freewheel noticeably better. I do sense better long ride times, but still not remarkably so.

In essence, i think you have to spend some quite reasonable money to even begin to actually feel the difference.

Top Bottom