Raleigh Wisp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Front brakes now perfectly centred ^_^
Found that the smallest socket in my set fit exactly :thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is that??? :huh:
And you were sure you didn't ask a question about having a baby.

Seriously the third hand holds the brake blocks together whilst one hand holds the pliers pulling the cable tight and the other tightens the nut securing it. Geddit!

image.jpg

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
As you're all being very lovely and helpful, I have another question. Probably one of many as I go along...
I am assuming that the rear wheel (I suppose front wheel too for that matter) should be completely in the .. um, is it rear dropout? The curved bit the wheel pushes into. It currently is not all the way in. I investigated briefly and I'm not even sure at this point that the wheel would go all the way in....
I guess tomorrow's wee job will be taking the whole lot off the back, praying furiously, and reassembling (hopefully in the right order).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the rear dropout on the drive side will probably be the "claw" bit of the rear mech. This has a U shaped bit that the axle goes into that actually sits a bit forward of the very rear of the dropout itself. So the axle goes right to the back of this, but on the non drive side is about 5mm or so forward of the very back of the dropout. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
In the rear dropout on the drive side will probably be the "claw" bit of the rear mech. This has a U shaped bit that the axle goes into that actually sits a bit forward of the very rear of the dropout itself. So the axle goes right to the back of this, but on the non drive side is about 5mm or so forward of the very back of the dropout. Does that make sense?
Scarily, I think it does! So in fact it might well be ok.
:thumbsup:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
PS There are pictures to show what I mean here.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#adaptor

He talks about an "adaptor claw" but on mechs like 1970s/80s Hurets etc the claw is actually an integral part of the mech. So the claw brings the rear of the dropout forward a bit. So tighten the drive side nut first, with the axle snug against the claw, and then make sure the wheel is centred between the stays and tighten the non drive side one.

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Postponed until tomorrow. New seat post and clamp sorted today. Tomorrow I can't get into most of the house once I've put the final coat of varnish in the hall floor...so i shall then be making the attempt :dry:
I may be some time and it might result in a frame surrounded by miscellaneous bike bits.
edit//kind of ran out of time cos i fixed my sewing machine instead :thumbsup:

Last edited:

KateK

I had a Raleigh Panache which was the 5 speed version of the Wisp and have been riding a Wisp for the last 2 1/2 years. Interesting to see the things about brake centering , I've always had to hold it with one hand and adjust with the other, takes ages... And my husband has just told me he has an adjuster!!!!!! Now. After 25 years.
No cake for him.
Yes, the back wheel does definitely not go all the way into the claw on one side and it does not come out, the wheel just needs to be nicely centred. Looks like the right saddle, it does adjust to and fro and nose.
If it's of any interest, I run a six speed shimano block on mine. I had cheap chains but decided to get a better one last time as the chains were lasting only 6 months. With a SRAM chain we found it needed a chain designed for more gears (9? I think) to run properly, otherwise it ran in between gears, yes really.
I love my Wisp, done nearly 6000 miles on it this year.

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Decided after a clean up that the back wheel really didn't need to come off. I probably will do it at some point when I have nothing better to do, but would rather just get it functioning so I can go for a ride. Both wheels spin very nicely, but they both could do with straightening. A job for Mr Hop in a week's time when he is home. Unfortunately for him he is very good at straightening wheels :smile: . Took off, cleaned and sorted back brake. That took AGES to centre. Absolutelyflippin' ages. Needs a new chain, but have given the old one a clean and some lube. Straightened a bent bit on the front derailleur which was catching. All the gears are changing well (on the whole). They probably need more investigating, but I'll wait until I've tried them out on the road.

Got the new seat stem in (which is the same size as the old one), but it put up a fight, and once I'd started I couldn't really stop. I doubt the bloody thing will ever come out again :sad: I think a size down would have been better, but it's too late now. Modern saddle going on - comfort over aesthetics at this point! (but I'll keep the old saddle to one side).

Now I just need to find a (gentle) way of getting paint spots off the paintwork. Someone has obviously been using a roller near the bike - but it appears to be gloss which is a little odd. Jizer started to remove some of the bikes proper paint :blink: so I quickly washed that off. White spirit did the same. WD40 sort of loosens it a bit if I wait ages and then scrape with a fingernail. But that is going to take weeks to do like that. Anyone have any good ideas???

New bar tape needs to go on.... and then that will be it for a while. I need another payday so I can get a new chain and some touring pedals (SPD/ordinary).

Tomorrow I am going to take it down the road for a spin:hyper::hyper:

Top Bottom