Raleigh Zenith

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If it fits, then clean, adjust, lube, make sure the brakes work! Maybe new tyres. . 501 tubing is not high end but it's nice and springy. The gearing should get you over much lumpiness. A friend hauled a similar Raleigh 501 frame from a skip recently and restored it and it was a treat.
With a little TLC and she'll be great .... Et voila, another golden oldie back on the road!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@User my words of wisdom echo @Fab Foodie

it doesnt look like it needs a lot doing to it , so i would be tempted to give it all a good clean and lube and ride it

the only comment i would make is it looks a big frame , nice tho

let us know what he decides

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's really nice. Looks like it's all original too. The drive train looks to be hardly worn so I don't think it's had much use. Just a clean and a lube and it will be good to go! As Biggs says the frame is quite large, about 25" I would say, so your friend needs to be six foot plus to feel comfortable on it. Even the tyres look ok, but I would change the inner tubes. Good luck.

Fab Foodie

RE: Frame sizing ....
Whilst it looks a big frame, my guess is 25" in old money, I bet the Top-Tube is quite short in relation. There was a trend in the early 80s to build frames this way, Raleigh especially. I'm 5'9" and can ride one. You rarely see frames built that way after that time. Maybe there was a spate of tall people with short backs!

Are those steel or ali rims. If the former some appropriate brake blokes will be reqd if he wants to stop in the wet.

[QUOTE 3147947, member: 45"]Steel I think. What blocks would be best?[/QUOTE]
It used to be Fibrax but the current line up is probably not aimed at steel rims so no longer sure but probably a modern pad like the Salmon Kool Stops will work well.

Are you sure they're steel, they began to change to Ali in the 80's even on cheaper bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd be very surprised if the rims are steel, given that's a 501 frame. Seat post dia should be stamped on, @biggs682 should be able to advise.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@User i always use Koolstop Continentals on either steel or alloy rims available from the likes of Spa Cycles and others

and they look like alloy rims , a std kmc 5,6 & 7 speed chain should do

seat post tube dia best guess i would say 26.8mm but dont shout if wrong

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
[QUOTE 3148117, member: 45"]Thanks. Could it be 25mm?[/QUOTE]
unusual but could be , might even be 27.2 but doubtful , whats he going to do with after charity ride

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thought this might interest you @User :
image.jpg

So it is 25", glad it passes the Victor Sylvester test (plenty of ball room)

Last edited:

broadway

Veteran
[QUOTE 3147838, member: 45"]Are we ok to go with modern 700x28s and brake blocks?[/QUOTE]

The spec says 27" so you need to check the tyres to see what they are.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
[QUOTE 3148132, member: 45"]I'm not sure. Why, do you want it?[/QUOTE]
always interested in older style retro bikes for one reason or another

Fab Foodie

[QUOTE 3150738, member: 45"]So the seat post is 25.something. I can't measure it any more accurately. What are the operations likely to be and can we get a modern one in the same size?[/QUOTE]
Hi
Take a trawl through here.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid-dept292_pg1/#page=1&page=1&order=PRICE ASCENDING
Many of the £15 is alloy posts come in a variety of diameters as can be seen by the drop-down boxes. Any neighbour have a caliper to measure the diameter?

Bottle cages -old simple ones can be fixed with Jubilee clips, you need to check the design.
Otherwise there's this kind of thing:
http://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages/51-gizmo-universal.html
Decathlon do a 'band-on' bottle cage with all the fittings.
Topeak and others do all kinds of fancy bottle cage holders too for mounting in different places.

Top Bottom