Raleigh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Hi all,

I picked this up from a car-boot last year, it's served me quite well so far. It's missing the front badge but I'm thinking it's probably a Raleigh as has Weinmann Raleigh brakes. Any thoughts please, and a rough year of make? More recent parts maybe, as has S
DSCN1228.JPG
DSCN1229.JPG
DSCN1233.JPG
himano front derailleur, Elan rear. Unbranded gear levers and matching dutch rims (forgotten the name).

Thanks, Mark

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi all,

I picked this up from a car-boot last year, it's served me quite well so far. It's missing the front badge but I'm thinking it's probably a Raleigh as has Weinmann Raleigh brakes. Any thoughts please, and a rough year of make? More recent parts maybe, as has S View attachment 403964 View attachment 403965 View attachment 403966 himano front derailleur, Elan rear. Unbranded gear levers and matching dutch rims (forgotten the name).

Thanks, Mark
Could be although I'd expect a riveted badge on a bike with a lamp fixing on the front forks (making it 70s or earlier)

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Will have another look tonight. Think the bike has had a respray at some point, the paintwork has come away in places but overall not too bad. Is the spongy handlebar stuff an indication of the era? Can't see a frame number underneath as it's a bit rusty.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The hamdlebar sponge was a popular Eighties accessory, but was also standard on many early 80's Clauds.
They are called 'Grab-On'. The upper section has been removed but they are still available I believe. Eighties, yes, spot on.

The bike looks more late sixties/early seventies I'd say.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Took a few more pics last night, the front has a couple of indents on the frame underneath a single hole DSCN1245.JPG DSCN1247.JPG DSCN1249.JPG DSCN1250.JPG , so could be where a Raleigh badge was. The rims are Van Schohurst, who I'd not heard of.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Managed to clean up the back of the Weinmann brake calipers and this revealed a number of '79 in the centre^_^ So not quite as old as I was thinking but still pretty ancient, thanks for the messages and help.

Top Bottom