Random musing when cycling through the countryside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
You know those small wayside stalls, where homeowners sell their produce? We've all seen them, I'm sure.
Why is it that the jars, containing, I suppose, jam, or honey, or chutney, are topped by those small gingham covers?
Is it just because it looks homely?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
In short, yes!

From my jam making Mother in Law:
Before the advent of freely available jars with screw tops, it used to be that you would often have jars with no thread or proper lid. When you filled them you would cover these jars with a square of greaseproof paper and then a square of muslin or gingham, tied with string, then that kept insects out. It just so happened to look pretty, so even though it's not necessary now it still goes on because it looks old fashioned and appealing.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
In short, yes!

From my jam making Mother in Law:
Before the advent of freely available jars with screw tops, it used to be that you would often have jars with no thread or proper lid. When you filled them you would cover these jars with a square of greaseproof paper and then a square of muslin or gingham, tied with string, then that kept insects out. It just so happened to look pretty, so even though it's not necessary now it still goes on because it looks old fashioned and appealing.
Thank you!

Top Bottom