Random philiophy from the Ancient Greeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Getting back to philiophy - what happens when a stroppy rasta and a middle class know-it-all meet on a narrow footbridge during the covoid crisis? It was like the unstoppable force and the immovable object. I didn't wait to find out the result.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Getting back to philiophy - what happens when a stroppy rasta and a middle class know-it-all meet on a narrow footbridge during the covoid crisis? It was like the unstoppable force and the immovable object. I didn't wait to find out the result.
Should have whipped out the phone and filmed it! Would have been an instant viral sensation.....

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Ok, how about this one. The Ancient Greeks were renowned for their wooden ships. Over time pieces become rotten and have to be replaced. Is it now the same ship? If not, what has happened to the original? And if I collected all the rotten pieces which were replaced over time and so eventually the whole ship had been replaced and built these up into a ship, which ship is original?
Believe it or not, this is a dilemma which the Ancient Greeks pondered.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hmmn, I've not yet encountered philiology, is it anything to do with hosses?

One of my taglines on summat or other platform, a while back, was that I was a tad 'Filly so fickle'

But I guess you had to be there :blush:

I quite like

'To find yourself, you must think for yourself'

From the Greeks

But i don't really buy.

'The unexamined life is not worth living'

Because there are plenty of serviceable, non injurious, and enjoyable lives lived, in a very straightforward, unexamined manner.

Plus the people who spend an inordinate amount of time examining their own lives, are thereby relying on others to sort out their daily bodily needs.

That's not a fair division of labour imo.

But at the same time, if life doesn't feel like it's worth living at all, then that certainly needs examining.

Generally

"Don't waste time fighting the old - build the new"
Is sound advice from Mrs Socrates..

Although often, in order to build the new, one has to persuade the old to let hove you some space.

The Greek philosophers were a tad (very) bloke heavy on the whole - of their time I spose.

But some of it stands the test of time.

Even if it's mostly commonsense.

I'm more a fan of the Vedic texts myself on the whole.

But always with the caveat that most of this stuff needs an update now and then, as we progress ourselves as conscious human beans :smile:

Placido Domingo all :angel:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Is it something to do with stamps?

Don't be silly.
That's philanthropy.. :rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Philosophy is about trying to answer the big questions and building a body of knowledge around it. We sometimes forget that physics , mathematics, chemistry, biology arose from philosophy by asking those questions. They got their own disciplines when the number of big questions in a particular area of study and knowledge justified becoming its own area of study.

Genetics, epigenetics, vaccines, neuro science arose out of asking and continuing to ask those big questions in biology.

That aside one of the benefits is that it encourages critical thinking and encountering thinking very different to your own in a non confrontational manner.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Philosophy is about trying to answer the big questions and building a body of knowledge around it. We sometimes forget that physics , mathematics, chemistry, biology arose from philosophy by asking those questions. They got their own disciplines when the number of big questions in a particular area of study and knowledge justified becoming its own area of study.

Genetics, epigenetics, vaccines, neuro science arose out of asking and continuing to ask those big questions in biology.

That aside one of the benefits is that it encourages critical thinking and encountering thinking very different to your own in a non confrontational manner.
What's philosophy got to do with this thread or even the price of fish YB...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ok, how about this one. The Ancient Greeks were renowned for their wooden ships. Over time pieces become rotten and have to be replaced. Is it now the same ship? If not, what has happened to the original? And if I collected all the rotten pieces which were replaced over time and so eventually the whole ship had been replaced and built these up into a ship, which ship is original?
Believe it or not, this is a dilemma which the Ancient Greeks pondered.
Trigger’s broom innit.
This is first day of a philosophy degree stuff.

Top Bottom