Random question about carbon bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
If you damage/snap/break a full carbon bike. Can you get it repaired? Or do you have to buy a new frame?

I know it depends where you damage it. But suppose it was the actual frame.

I could never afford one so just asking.

In general yes you can, and there seems to be a growing a number of places doing it.

That said I suppose it depends on how, when and where it's busted, and I don't think anywhere will touch busted stems, bars and seatposts at all, not surprised by this though.

However, would you want to have it repaired though is another question entirely ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are people now who can repair carbon frames but most of the before 'n after pictures I've seen have been of straight tubes with local impact damage. This is the right hand chainstay of my cycling buddy's Tarmac after he rode it into a car and got himself T boned:

AlexsRHchainstay2_zps3a7bc8cd.jpg

The tube got crushed when the front of the car hit it with enough force to send the bike flying 15 feet over my head, to land on top of a hedge behind me. The tube is delaminated and you can crush it between your fingers; to repair it you'd have to cut out the damaged section, which is easily 6" long then find a way of reproducing not only the oval shape of the tube but also the taper, which would be very difficult indeed. I've thought about having a go because a failed repair in this area would probably show up first under transmission stresses before causing a crash, but I don't know if I can really be bothered!

Top Bottom