Random ramblings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I normally ride either my road or cross bike to work depending on weather and various other factors. But today, I took my wife's e-bike to work because my legs needed a bit of a break and she needed the car today. My wife's bike is a low step raleigh captus (think dutch style sit up and beg) that weighs in the region of 23 kgs. As I wasn't on either of my bikes, I decided I would leave the lycra and silly shoes at home and wear just shorts and tshirt with my purple converse.
I had it in eco and tour mode for most of the ride, with it cutting out for a few miles as I was managing a gentle 16mph for a bit, and kicked it up to sport and turbo on the few hills because I could. However, even with the assist I'm still 1.5-2mph faster on my road bike, and roughly the same speed to .5mph faster on the cross bike. And weirdly, I felt a lot more vulnerable on my wife's bike than I do on my own.
So I don't think I will be doing that again, unless my legs need a break and the wife needs the car.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Should.ve kept it on 'Turbo' the whole way. :becool:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im amazed. You mean your not 90 or crippled with arthritis and you were riding an e bike?

At last someone with some common sense. Wanting to give your legs a break is a good reason to have a ride out on an e bike. Plus its good fun.

You may be 2mph faster on your roadbike but it is 3rd the weight of an e bike and you expend 3 times a much energy on a road bike.

What made you feel more vunerable?

tyred

Legendary Member
I increasingly fancy doing an e-bike conversion on one of my existing bikes. Partly because I fancy a new project and challenge and partly I can see how an e-bike could be useful as a utility bike. I live in a very hilly town and if I cycle for transport I nearly always arrive soaked in sweat. An e-bike could only help and I can keep my "manual" bikes for leisure rides.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It wouldn't have helped - rivers was doing 16 mph and the motor would cut out at 15.5!
It'd be a sight quicker off the mark though, even my trike leaves 'roadies' in my dust from a slight uphill start. Quite funny hearing them 'clatter' down to a better gear cos they didn't change down before stopping though and hadn't expected the trike to be as quick getting away. :tongue:

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Im amazed. You mean your not 90 or crippled with arthritis and you were riding an e bike?

At last someone with some common sense. Wanting to give your legs a break is a good reason to have a ride out on an e bike. Plus its good fun.

You may be 2mph faster on your roadbike but it is 3rd the weight of an e bike and you expend 3 times a much energy on a road bike.

What made you feel more vunerable?

Not sure really what made me feel more vulnerable. Possibly a combination of things, a few more close passes than normal, and my wife's bike is not as nimble as either of my bikes. And I wasn't as quick off the mark on it. Possibly because it's slightly too big for me.

And you make the joking comment about not being 90 and crippled... my wife is a fitness instructor and loves her e-bike. She doesn't need more exercise apparently. But in all seriousness, it puts less stress on her body, so she can actually cycle commute to a good chunk of her classes, and we can go out on rides together without her feeling like she's killing herself.

bladderhead

raleighnut said:
funny hearing them 'clatter' down to a better gear
One of my bikes has a Rohloff and I miss it when I am on the other bike. It's not just about the ability to shift when stationary. I think the Rohloff gives me better acceleration from a standing start because the gearchange is always accurate and instantaneous.

Top Bottom