Range not as good as friend's on similar Bosch motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim O

Über Member
Hello, last week I collected my new Trek Superfly 4 ebike. Went out for a ride today with a mate who has a Cube Acid. His bike is 6 months old. Both have Bosch engines - his is Active line plus and mine is Performance CX. Both are 500 W. I travelled 3 miles to meet him; he travelled 3 miles to meet me. We then did 20 miles. We were mirroring each other's mode performance - approximately 2/3 in ECO and 1/3 in Tour. After 20 miles his range read 72 in ECO and mine read 53 in ECO.

Anybody got any idea why the disparity? I would have thought they would have been fairly similar given that his bike is only 6 months old and mine is brand new. Obviously, his has been through a large number of charge cycles and mine has only been through one (a top up). Is there any sort of "memory" occurring here?

The bikes are very similar in weight. They've got similar tyres and both are 29ers. I don't think the different motors (Active line and Performance CX) would result in such a large difference.

One difference is that I travelled 3 miles against a very strong head wind to reach him whereas he mostly coasted down hill. That might account for a partial difference but a 19 mile range difference over a shared distance of 20 miles seems a bit odd.

The other difference is that his bike came with a 4 amp charger but mine came with a 2 amp charger (apparently that's what Trek are sending now). But given that both bikes were fully charged before setting off, surely the charge rate wouldn't affect the resulting range?

I must say, although I'm enjoying the bike immensely, I'm a bit disappointed in this range difference. I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas as to why there was such a big disparity.

Many thanks.

no idea but at least I now know what disparity means :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use can depend upon the rider's power output - if one rider is more powerful than the other, then it will use less battery. These systems work on more in, more out I believe. So if one of you is fitter, then they would use less battery power to stay the same 'speed' as someone less fit. Us folk on non-assisted bikes will put in loads of 'human' power just to keep up with an ebike. So the fitter the e-biker, the less power they will need to keep up with someone less fit.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The weight of the rider has to be taken into consideration as well and the mileage used/left is only an estimate and cannot be taken as gospel.

OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Thank you all for that. My mate will be delighted when I tell him he's obviously fitter than me! Aldus, thanks a lot for that bit of information. It was something I had missed in my research.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Your 3 miles of headwind versus his 3 miles of downhill coasting could be significant, as could different battery capacities. Tyres and pressures too.
Lots of variables!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hello, last week I collected my new Trek Superfly 4 ebike. Went out for a ride today with a mate who has a Cube Acid. His bike is 6 months old. Both have Bosch engines - his is Active line plus and mine is Performance CX. Both are 500 W. I travelled 3 miles to meet him; he travelled 3 miles to meet me. We then did 20 miles. We were mirroring each other's mode performance - approximately 2/3 in ECO and 1/3 in Tour. After 20 miles his range read 72 in ECO and mine read 53 in ECO.

Anybody got any idea why the disparity? I would have thought they would have been fairly similar given that his bike is only 6 months old and mine is brand new. Obviously, his has been through a large number of charge cycles and mine has only been through one (a top up). Is there any sort of "memory" occurring here?

The bikes are very similar in weight. They've got similar tyres and both are 29ers. I don't think the different motors (Active line and Performance CX) would result in such a large difference.

One difference is that I travelled 3 miles against a very strong head wind to reach him whereas he mostly coasted down hill. That might account for a partial difference but a 19 mile range difference over a shared distance of 20 miles seems a bit odd.

The other difference is that his bike came with a 4 amp charger but mine came with a 2 amp charger (apparently that's what Trek are sending now). But given that both bikes were fully charged before setting off, surely the charge rate wouldn't affect the resulting range?

I must say, although I'm enjoying the bike immensely, I'm a bit disappointed in this range difference. I would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas as to why there was such a big disparity.

Many thanks.
Both have different motors.......with different amounts of torque available.

Different tyres on both bikes....

Both riders asking the bike for different levels of help
Both riders doing different speeds

I could go on

OP
OP
T

Tim O

Über Member
Again, thank you all of you for taking the time to explain to a newcomer to ebikes. Indeed, I was not attempting a scientific experiment - just a couple of blokes keeping in the same mode and the same speed to see if there was much of a difference. I just hadn't expected such a large difference!

I had the bike shop change my tyres and we were on very similar treads - both 2.2. But pressures could be part of it - that was something we hadn't checked. Our batteries were the same - 500 W. Looks like the motor and the initial head wind is part of it then.

That E-mtb race series will indeed be interesting. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a current model Performance motor and an older Classic motor - the first one Bosch made in 2010.

There's no doubt the Performance motor is perkier at the expense of using a bit more juice.

It's also slightly noisier, so progress - of a sort - has been made in about nine years.

D

Deleted member 26715

If one rides behind the other they will also use much less power due to drafting.
On MTB's? is that really a factor?

Have to say that's one of the things I like about the forum the vast range of knowledge I was starting to look at ebikes & didn't even realise there were different types of motor available.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On MTB's? is that really a factor?

Have to say that's one of the things I like about the forum the vast range of knowledge I was starting to look at ebikes & didn't even realise there were different types of motor available.

Doesn't matter what type of bike, applies any time one is riding behind the other.

Top Bottom