[Rant] Buying used cars [/Rant]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks to some scumbags I've needed a new car for a while; their actions timed perfectly to make this a pretty difficult proposition.

For weeks I've been trawling the depressing parade of dubious local £500 sh*tters cycled through the usual bottom-feeder sales sites (FB marketplace, Gumtree, freeads, ebay) and today saw a jap shopping trolley on Autotrader that looked half-decent; no pics but lowish mileage, two "lady" owners, reasonably priced and very local. The seller sounded genuine; flogging it for his daughter, very fourthcoming with information, well-spoken and in a nice middle class area. There was talk of low prices for a quick and hassle-free sale and it all looked very promising..

I spent all day researching the car in question and knocking up an inspection checklist. Earlier I chucked a pair of overalls and some monies in my rucksack and headed off to the seller's place on the CdF. By the time I'd got within 10ft of the car / before I'd even got off the bike my heart had sunk and my decision had already been made.. but just to be sure I thought I'd have a poke around..

What was described on the phone as "a bit of a bump on the front bumper that's caused a small split in the paint" actually translated into the plate and bumper caved in; cracking the paint off around the edge of the bumper to expose the original, different colour of the used replacement bumper beneath. A replacement bumper that had no doubt been fitted after whatever incident had cause the front lip of the bonnet to have been peeled back by about an inch on its leading edge and skewed on its hinges to the extent where you could have lost a small dog down the panel gap with the wing on the driver's side, while that on the passenger side was basically non-existant.

What was chirpily dismissed as "a bit of a bump on the rear bumper" actually transpired to be an impact on the driver's side sufficient to pop the leading edge of the bumper away from the bodywork and drive the (presumably shattered and now replaced) rear light cluster into the rear quarter so hard it split the paint on the corner of this panel.

Not mentioned at all was the fact that no single panel was free from significant battle damage; scrapes on all four corners, a comprehensive set of go-faster stripes down both doors and rear quarters on each side, a couple of wheel arches dinged or swaged near-flat... both rear aches were showing signs of rot, all tyres were mis-matched ditchfinders; both rears cracked, one gashed and one close to the wear markers..

Needless to say I didn't even bother opening the bonnet or starting the engine; tactfully making my excuses and leaving.

Thankfully I'm not anywhere near thick / blind / desperate enough to have considered parting with money for such a shed (and tbh I'd have had a hard time justifying half the asking price; since it looked in worse nick that one of the Minis from the end of The Italian Job).

The trip down there was integrated into a ride so I probably only wasted 20 minutes in the presence of the unscrupulous individual attempting to sell this poor abused little turd of a car; however otherwise I've pretty much devoted a day to researching the vehicle, on hold with my waste-of-space insurance company getting a quote / putting a policy change in place - wasted time I really resent. This, along with being treated as if my mental capacity is inferior to that of a root vegetable. Finally I'm angry at myself for treating the guy with civility despite his evident attempt to screw me; although I did tactfully "point out" many of these issues to him.

The "gentleman seller" had at least one more potential hapless buyer lined up after me, but two hours after I visited the ad's still up so finger's crossed nobody's been stupid enough to get sucked in by his little ploy. I hope his greed and dishonesty earn him many more wasted evenings. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Next time you have your time wasted by a nobed don't beat about the bush so much. No need to be polite and considerate of his feelings. Just tell us what and absolute sh!t the guy was. We will understand.

johnnyb47

Guru
Been there done that many times when looking for a cheap car.. They say it's in good condition only to see a right old rusty nail. Unfortunately, cheap cars in good condition are well sought after nowadays and are usually snapped up pretty quickly..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Next time you have your time wasted by a nobed don't beat about the bush so much. No need to be polite and considerate of his feelings. Just tell us what and absolute sh!t the guy was. We will understand.
That's my problem unfortunately; I don't like confrontation and perhaps can be a bit slow on the uptake as to how potentially malicious someone's intent may have been. Equally I might just be my tendency to think the worst of people giving him more credit as a hapless aspiring criminal mastermind than he deserves; maybe he's just a bit thick / has no idea about cars (although his rhetoric suggested otherwise).

Nothing like an honest description then
Nothing like. Can't really understand why people bother wasting their time and everyone else's with crap like this - sure, everyone wants the fat end of a fair price for whatever they're selling... but why not just list it honestly with a good set of photos and actually achieve your core goal of selling it?

Been there done that many times when looking for a cheap car.. They say it's in good condition only to see a right old rusty nail. Unfortunately, cheap cars in good condition are well sought after nowadays and are usually snapped up pretty quickly..
Indeed - so it seems from my experience.. following weeks of looking this has been the only one I've bothered to view, and look how it turned out (although to be fair with some decent pics I'd not have bothered with this one either). There seems to be a real demand for decent, cheap / cheap to run cars - which with the economy sliding into the sea is to be expected I guess..

Never trust the term 'lady owner'. It's either a peach, banged up, or treated like a girl racers car, just like any 'lads' car might be. No wonder there were no pictures.
Absolutely.. at the risk of offending the good ladies of CC, IME "lady owner" usually means neglected and covered in battle damage. Add "elderly" to the mix and you can double the amount of damage and add a ruined clutch after a third the time it should have lasted, too :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just to add balance, my FIL went through clutches very fast on new cars due to foot circulation issues due to being a heavy smoker.

johnnyb47

Guru
Don't feel to deflated though @wafter.
There are still some nice bargains out there to be had. It just takes a little time to find them.
Just the other day i spotted a very nice 2005 black Vectra up for sale for around £500. It was well presented and looked very straight indeed.
It may sound a little snobbery but when buying a car take a look at the house its parked up in. A well appointed house can suggest money is not tight and the car could have half a chance of being looked after. A house thats got scrap vehicles or engine parts lying around would always put me off..
When phoning always say "im calling about the car for sale" but don't mention the make or model. If the seller is a backstreet trader he will no doubt ask which car.
Small second hand cars seem to command strong values at the moment whilst larger vehicles don't so much. Personally i would prefer an older car in good condition than a newer one with big miles.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

OK... post edited in case dodgy car seller links this to OP and causes repercussions. :okay:
Thanks but I'd not worry too much; I've edited my post to be less (not at all) libellous and everything I've stated is fact. Besides, the ad doesn't identify the seller. Not that I particularly want him knocking on my door, mind :laugh:

Don't feel to deflated though @wafter.
There are still some nice bargains out there to be had. It just takes a little time to find them.
Just the other day i spotted a very nice 2005 black Vectra up for sale for around £500. It was well presented and looked very straight indeed.
It may sound a little snobbery but when buying a car take a look at the house its parked up in. A well appointed house can suggest money is not tight and the car could have half a chance of being looked after. A house thats got scrap vehicles or engine parts lying around would always put me off..
When phoning always say "im calling about the car for sale" but don't mention the make or model. If the seller is a backstreet trader he will no doubt ask which car.
Small second hand cars seem to command strong values at the moment whilst larger vehicles don't so much. Personally i would prefer an older car in good condition than a newer one with big miles.
Thanks - was my thought too about the wealth / area; but the flipside to that argument I guess is getting the delusion, self-entitled end of the market. Totally agree - usually if it's got ten kids jumping up and down on the bonnet with burning Police car in the background it's probably not going to pan out too well :laugh:

Good tip about the phone call; although having watched the usual sales sites for a while now they tend to stand out.

I'm absolutely the same re. car choice; with older usually meaning less complex; cheaper and easier to fix. I did see a nice-looking 2001 E39 530i Sport (with manual box!) recently; heart said :wub:, head said "b*llocks mate" - sadly can't be doing with £330/yr tax, 25mpg and BMW parts prices.. although I bet it's a dead-cert future classic.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh dear. The fabled "owned by little old lady who only used it for going to church and poping down the shops, hymn book still in glove compartment" cars are just that, a myth.

While looking at Gumtree earlier I did see an older Mazda 626 with 60k gen miles and all straight govnor for £695, so they are around

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Oh dear. The fabled "owned by little old lady who only used it for going to church and poping down the shops, hymn book still in glove compartment" cars are just that, a myth.

While looking at Gumtree earlier I did see an older Mazda 626 with 60k gen miles and all straight govnor for £695, so they are around
Thanks - even the granny sales pitch doesn't really make sense though - short journeys so the car never got warm, was started from cold a million times and never got out of 3rd gear.. so the vylinder bores are worn, the exhuast rotted away, the suspension knackered, brakes and clutch worn out, gearbox on its last legs..

I'd far rather have double the mileage and proof that the previous owner had properly warmed it up and sat on the motorway at a ton for all of its life..

Top Bottom