'Square ' Cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Location
Norwich
Maybe because of the increased popularity of SUVs, but has anyone else noticed that more & more cars apppear to have the aerodynamics of a housebrick - ?
Coming from an era when cars were 'sleek & slippery', why has squareness become vogue - ?
Even with the advent of far more efficient engines & drivetrains, surely being aerodynamic is still going to improve fuel consumption, or am I missing something - ?
And as a colleague said, a square fronted car / SUV is far more likely to push a pedestrian UNDER the front of the car rather than over the bonnet in the event of a frontal collision. :dry:
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
You may actually find they are still pretty good for drag efficient TBH, and tested to not pull a pedestrian under the car
 

presta

Legendary Member
Maybe they copied the idea from furniture, which seems to have been stuck in that fashion for even longer.
 

Gunk

Guru
Location
Oxford
Just saw a new electric XC90 in the B&Q car park this afternoon, what on earth have they done to the front end, it looks horrible, completely devoid of any character.

IMG_2725.jpeg
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
I think you'll find all these bits are a bit 'squashy' these days and designed to break. Also, thinks like bonnets are softer, and bigger space under it so it can deform more when/if they hit a person. I don't think they are quite as bad as they look.

TBH, in my experience, it's the small cars you have to watch out for.
 

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Location
lost somewhere
But, two have really hurt me - really little cars. Yet to be hit by a big vehicle, ever. My van is 2 tonne, the front is very squashy, and there is a stack of space under the bonnet just in-case.

Space to guide a victim under four wheels????
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
I think, rather than speculate, go check a few things out. I'm not. PS I cycle commute so this affects me a lot, as the 2 tonne van sits on the drive. The vehicle never bothers me, it's the person behind it, and you have to read them as they pass, or approach junctions. Doesn't matter if it's a little car, big car, bus driver... don't get me started on dodgy e-bikes, they are getting a menace.
 

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Too big for the roads they drive on, environmental nightmare. The least of their problem is being too ugly in my opinion.
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
My son is a HGV driver. He actually worries that he won't last too long due to idiot drivers doing stuff like brake testing a 38t truck on a motorway etc. It's alarming how bad drivers are around these trucks. He's said to us he may die driving these things.. I'm like, I ride a pedal bike, but he realises how bad other drivers are.

MAKES YOU THINK !

It's not the vehicle, it's the driver.
 

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Location
lost somewhere
I think, rather than speculate, go check a few things out. I'm not. PS I cycle commute so this affects me a lot, as the 2 tonne van sits on the drive. The vehicle never bothers me, it's the person behind it, and you have to read them as they pass, or approach junctions. Doesn't matter if it's a little car, big car, bus driver... don't get me started on dodgy e-bikes, they are getting a menace.

I think. I also read stuff........

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/...-increases-likelihood-death-or-serious-injury
 
Top Bottom