RANT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
I actually found that amazing when I was in Germany earlier this year, no bikes were locked to anything - just a small cable lock through the back wheel.
I think they found my obsession with having SOMETHING to lock my bike to equally confusing - everywhere had "cycle storage facilities" but none ever had anything to lock to - yet they were FULL of bikes!!

Earlier this year, went for a ride with a German guy to Reading; he said he wasn't confident leaving his bike anywhere in Britain - in Germany yes, but not in Britain.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Let tyre down, pull off wheel simple. If it is tight enough to prevent the wheel from being removed why doesn't it damage the rim?I don;t read dutch so am I missing something here?

The bolt extends from one side of the U over the rim and locks into the other side, so you can unbolt the wheel but you cannot take it off and it still won't turn, because the bolt gets in the way of the spokes.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The bolt extends from one side of the U over the rim and locks into the other side, so you can unbolt the wheel but you cannot take it off and it still won't turn, because the bolt gets in the way of the spokes.

Right I see. Thank you. So you are fine as long as the bike isn't tossed into the back of a truck or the like :smile:

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Right I see. Thank you. So you are fine as long as the bike isn't tossed into the back of a truck or the like :smile:

Well, yeah as I said, it's a short term thing - you park up, lock it, get your groceries whatever, stick them in the front basket, twist of the key and you're ready to go. Sometimes I'll use the cable as well, as these wheel locks are not too obvious so someone might think the bike's just been left there for them to take. The more expensive of these locks come with a cable that attaches to it so you can lock it to something.

C

chillyuk

Our local Halfords has no locking facilities, and it has a large bicycle department. I tend to take my bike in with me.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Don't use those pipe things. We had a spate once where people nicked bikes by hacksawing through those pipes. They were hollow and ridculously thin, very easy for the thiefs to cut them away, rendering a massiey expensive lock almost useless!

The ones at my Wilkinson's are about 8" diameter, much bigger then my U lock, and made of something solid enough to prevent ram raiding. If someone was able to hacksaw through one I'd give him my bike for the effort.:biggrin:

Unfortunately there is nothing else other then the decorative benches.

Attachments

• Wilkinson\'s.jpg
    Wilkinson\'s.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 37

twobiker

When I went to buy a new watch, I did the whole transaction standing on the pavement as I wouldn't leave my bike, the man brought out the watch I chose from the window, went back in, set it up ,filled in the guarantee, and came out with my receipt, top man.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The ones at my Wilkinson's are about 8" diameter, much bigger then my U lock, and made of something solid enough to prevent ram raiding. If someone was able to hacksaw through one I'd give him my bike for the effort.:biggrin:

Unfortunately there is nothing else other then the decorative benches.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but if those are the benches, your bike's been nicked.... ;)

Here in York we have a lot of cyclists, so we are pretty well served with racks - some better than others, admittedly. There's one supermarket I use occasionally that has no rack, but a convenient lamp post outside.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm sorry to tell you this, but if those are the benches, your bike's been nicked.... ;)

LOL!:biggrin:
It's a google streetview local interest photo. Why anyone would think it was interesting I don't know but it shows the red tubular things that are too big to U lock to. They are only used as a trolley park, a bit over kill IMO.

Top Bottom