Rapha Condor Blackpool Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Sounds like you got a pretty 'duff' sportive :sad: .... you would definitely have fared better on the Gore ride, which was well organised, excellent signage and reported by one guy who had done both as ........

wait for it (it'll be worth it - honest :biggrin:)

NOT as tough as the Trossachs Ton :cry: (for me) :ohmy: (for you).

I think my calendar for next year is shaping up for Etape Caledonia; Trossachs Ton; Gore Bike Sportive; Ken Laidlaw Sportive. Collapse in a big heap - actually, No, as by then I'll be so super fit and healthy ..... :blush:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Scoosh, the Gore one must have improved from last year then if you rated it that highly as I thought the Ruthin one, held in a fabulous area, was very poorly organised and represented poor value for money. Can I ask in what way it was good as if it is up to scratch, I'd love to go back to do the Ruthin route which they are holiding next month.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

scoosh said:
Sounds like you got a pretty 'duff' sportive :sad: .... you would definitely have fared better on the Gore ride, which was well organised, excellent signage and reported by one guy who had done both as ........

wait for it (it'll be worth it - honest :biggrin:)

NOT as tough as the Trossachs Ton :cry: (for me) :smile: (for you).

I think my calendar for next year is shaping up for Etape Caledonia; Trossachs Ton; Gore Bike Sportive; Ken Laidlaw Sportive. Collapse in a big heap - actually, No, as by then I'll be so super fit and healthy ..... :blush:

Aye the Ton was hard, especially the last 10 miles or so. Lots of energy sapping hills. However, it was great fun, and depending on a few things (new baby on the way after all!) I would like to do it again next year.

I am already registered for the Etape Caledonia. I'm looking forward to it!:smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
PaulB said:
Scoosh, the Gore one must have improved from last year then if you rated it that highly as I thought the Ruthin one, held in a fabulous area, was very poorly organised and represented poor value for money. Can I ask in what way it was good as if it is up to scratch, I'd love to go back to do the Ruthin route which they are holiding next month.
My entry from a different thread:
It was wet - the forecast said the rain would clear the Selkirk area by 1000 but it didn't until about midday, by which time we were half way round, very wet .... and getting tired

There were some longish climbs, some steepish climbs (of course the last one, some 30 km before the end ) and the worst bit was from Ettrick to Eskdalemuir - a hard slog into a 15-20mph wind, in the rain etc etc but at least it wasn't uphill .

Shortly after that, it dried up, the sun came out (some brave folks even removed their rain jackets ), the wind was soon behind us and we fair shot along the longish slog past Moffat Water, the Grey Mare's Tail (very impressive with all the rain ) before the 'sting in the tail' and the final run in to Selkirk.

Organisation, signage, water/feed stops were excellent, with Gore Bike Wear having a 'Try before You Buy' with their clothing for those in the know. The MTB event on today was going to be even bigger - and there were 240 on the road events. Camping, parking, showers, food, High5 at the feed stops .... it's a good event and one I will put in my calendar for next year.

I did the 95 mile (150km) ride and just missed the (total time) 7 hr mark - by 55 secs . Still, it was less then the 8hrs I expected, so I'm fair chuffed .... and I wasn't last [ride time 6:29 ; avg sp 23.3kph]
From talking to a number of other riders, there seems to be a recognition that there is a lot of 'crossover' betwen MTB/Road riding - many roadies are MTBing in winter to maintain fitness/cross-train and vice-versa. Gore seem to have caught on to this and one guy from Merida was saying how much the numbers for the road event had increased from last year.

I would be happy to pay £25 again next year.

Nice t-shirt too :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Someone on bikeradar got the following reply from the organisers.

Hello Steve,
Sorry that you did not enjoy your sportive ride on Saturday.
With regard the signage, I think that you are being unfair. Myself and another fellow rider spent 12 hours on the Friday putting up 107 signs over the course. Being a sportive rider yourself you would know that these are not allowed to be fixed signs and have to be temporary signs and therefore can be moved. We have to place the signs high enough so as not to be tampered with. In all we had 3 signs that had been moved and these were at vital junctions.
I have ridden various Sportive events over the years and have on a few occasions missed signs along the route or have been at junctions with no signage, this is unfortunately part and parcel of ridding sportives. It is physically impossible to man every junction with a marshall.

The week before the event all entries were emailed from Sport Systems that the 3 updated route maps had been put on the team website and riders 'should print of their own copy to bring with for their reference'.
We also at the HQ had an Ordinance Survey map pinned up and each rider upon sign was given emergency numbers in case they strayed off course, 2 being HQ numbers.
Sport Systems were going to provide the chip timing at 1500 riders but with only 250 entries it was not viable at £3500.00 to use them.
We had asked them to email the entrants and unfortunately they overlooked this matter.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy it but we have had positive feedback from Cycle Britain and Cycling Weekly who both rode the event.
Regards,
Damon Warnes.

Very poor reply in my opinion!

I will be writing my own complaint later today.;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

In fact, thinking about it, his reply angers me even more. We paid £29.50 which as far as I can tell went on signage numbers for our bikes, maybe money for the building we started in and a small amount of gels and drink. So he is looking for sympathy for putting up signs to make a wacking big profit out of us!?! Grrrr.;)

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I think you have learnt a salutary lesson in how some organised pay to ride days pan out.
The UK holds very few 'sportive' events that are worthy of that description.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I was very lucky that my first 'sportive' event was the Trossachs Ton. I now realise what a joy of an event that was. Excellent signage, amazing food stops, (with a buffet lunch provided), excellent goodie bags, free leg massage etc. All for £25. It can be done.

What I can't understand, is why they bother doing these events if all they will get from it is bad publicity. My complaint will be copied to rapha and condor...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Here is the letter I have sent (yes I know it is long!)

Dear Sir/madam,

I am doing something that I never thought I would have to do. I am writing a complaint about the Rapha Condor Blackpool Sportive that was held in Blackpool and the surrounding area on the 1^st of August 2009.

As a relatively new rider to Sportives I was looking forward to this one as this would be my first timed event. I was looking forward to measuring myself against the other riders. Your sportive also sounded like a nice route through some countryside which I had never ridden before, so I was happy to make the trip from Glasgow to take part in the event. However, it was upon registration that things started to go wrong.

During registration I noticed that no-one mentioned or handed me a timing chip for the event. I was surprised at this and asked one of the girls on the registration desk (who were all very pleasant) when we were to receive a chip. She knew nothing about them and had to go and ask for advice. A chap came and spoke to me describing how the decision had been taken 2 weeks before the race not to have chip timing as the costs did not justify it. Why then, were participants not told of this change? The organiser (I assume that is who he was) suggested that Sports Systems were supposed to e-mail everyone, but didn’t. However, why did Rapha Condor not chase this up, and/or contact the participants themselves. I was not amused.

I also noticed that we did not receive a personal map of the route. It had been suggested in the pre-ride information that we would receive one. Why was this map not supplied?

Upon registering I was also surprised by the lack of trade stands. There appeared to be some form of BBQ, however, this seemed very disorganised and I could not see any food actually being provided to participants. This was all at odds with the pre-ride information that we had been provided which suggested, ‘Meet the Rapha Condor pro riders face to face and get pictures and autographs. There will be plenty happening at the start HQ along with trade stands by Rapha and Condor.’ There was no attempt to introduce any of the pro riders, either.

Just as we were setting off we were informed that the long route would now be 6 miles longer due to road works and diversions. However, the person setting us off suggested that this would not be a problem as it was well sign posted and there would be, ‘…plenty of marshals on the course…’. I only saw three marshals on the way out of Blackpool over the first mile and no further marshals over the whole course. I never came across any diversions.

The signage was very poor. Its colour was very difficult to see from a distance, and it was often placed beyond the junction where you had to make the turn. It was especially confusing at roundabouts. I and many others made wrong turns as a result. I understand that there are limitations to what signage can be used and where it can be placed, however, bright signs well in advance of turns, with additional signs as close to the turn as possible are not impossible. Roundabout signs can also be designed in such a way that they cannot be miss-interpreted.

I was particularly surprised when I reached the bottom of the Trough of Bowland and I hadn’t come across the promised first food stop. I wondered if I had missed it. In fact, after talking to other cyclists I found that no-one had found it. It didn’t exist. I had planned my drinks etc with the aim of filling up at this first stop. So as I started my ascent I had ran out of fluid and so found the next 20 miles or so particularly difficult due to the onset of mild dehydration. If you promise a food/drink stop, you provide a food/drink stop!! Very, very poor!

I later arrived at the ‘second’ food/drink stop. It was situated right across from a church with a wedding going on. Apparently the groom was not amused, understandably. I was surprised to find only energy gels and sports drinks available. For some 85 miles is a normal club run, however, for others, burning several thousand calories over the course of 5-6 hours requires that food is eaten. To not provide any substantial food is very poor (especially with one stop missing!).

Upon arrival back at the finish (which was 88 miles and not 85 or 91!) the welcome was muted. In fact there was no welcome to speak of. No trade stalls, no BBQ, and surprisingly no goodie bag; just a request to de-register. This was very much an anticlimax. However, for an extra £5 you could get a sports massage! More like a slap in the face!

I have had the pleasure, earlier this year to take part in the Trossachs Ton 100 mile ride organised by Action Medical Research. This cost £25. For this money we got a very well marshalled route with excellent signage (signs saying things like ‘keep going’, ‘food stop soon’ etc), a detailed OS map, excellent food stops with a full buffet lunch provided at one of them, an excellent goody bag with gels, t-shirt, waterbottle etc, a medal, and a free sports massage. Therefore, considering the lack of timing, lack of stops, poor signage, lack of marshals, lack of food, lack of goody bag, and lack of massage, can you please inform me what my entry fee went towards? Surely as a significant amount of what was promised never transpired a refund is in order?

This event has tainted my opinion of the Rapha Condor cycling team and of both of the individual sponsors. Surely it is bad business practice to treat possible future customers with such contempt. As I feel that both Condor and Rapha might be interested to know about feedback from this event and how it may affect their brand, I have copied them both into this e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

PaulB

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
In fact, thinking about it, his reply angers me even more. We paid £29.50 which as far as I can tell went on signage numbers for our bikes, maybe money for the building we started in and a small amount of gels and drink. So he is looking for sympathy for putting up signs to make a wacking big profit out of us!?! Grrrr.:evil:

Someone's made a profit out of the riders there and I think this is very poor indeed. I feel for you, especially, having travelled all the way from Glasgow to be ripped-off like this.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

PaulB said:
Someone's made a profit out of the riders there and I think this is very poor indeed. I feel for you, especially, having travelled all the way from Glasgow to be ripped-off like this.

Don't worry too much. My in-laws live near Blackpool, so it was combined with a trip where the kids visited the grandparents. Two-birds, one stone. Anyway, I enjoyed the ride itself, except for running out of fluids. Riding a bike is always good...:evil:

What weather did you get in the end Magnatom? I did the Edinburgh Sportive today and it wasn't half as well organised as the TT. Signs weren't the best either, we only got a t'shirt, certificate an bottle of water at the end. Everybody was happy though, no complaints; I think the good route and great weather helped.

Edit: oh and it was for charity, not a profit for a private company.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

HLaB said:
What weather did you get in the end Magnatom? I did the Edinburgh Sportive today and it wasn't half as well organised as the TT. Signs weren't the best either, we only got a t'shirt, certificate an bottle of water at the end. Everybody was happy though, no complaints; I think the good route and great weather helped.

Edit: oh and it was for charity, not a profit for a private company.

It was wet at the start (drizzle) but it cleared up half way. In fact I had a bit of sunburn by the end.

You got a t-shirt, certificate and bottle of water more than I did!xx(

Top Bottom