Rapha Condor Blackpool Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

bugslop said:
How fast will the pace be? I,ve never ridden a sportive but after riding the manchester to blackpool in three hours (thanks to a group from the lancashire road club) and enjoying it i think i might have got the bug. Just don't want to be blown out the back and left on my own.

My pace on a 100 miler (with a couple of hills was 16.4mph). However, there were certainly faster rides and certainly slower riders. The only person you are really up against is yourself, so if you think you would enjoy the ride then go for it. Nothing to loose really (except maybe a few kilos of fluid! :biggrin:)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Frustruck said:
magatom, the southern way up the Trough of Bowland is quite steep, it is sustained 1 in 7 for the last bit. There is usually a lot of traffic around on a weekend as well. Then it'll be a long descent through trees & onto bad tarmac, a left turn then along the fellside, nice views, then a short dangerous descent - 1 in 4/5 with a sharp bend at the bottom, watch it there, then rollers back to the Flyde plain with loads of crazy drivers cutting you up (so you'll be right at home). Fun, not too hard.

bugslop, groups usually form and break up on the road. You can get in a fast group if you are lucky but most groups do break up on the climbs. You may well end up on your own, it's just luck I guess.

I might be around that Saturday, getting some miles in before doing the Pendal Pedal on Sunday, I am under-trained for it, not really looking forward to it. Anyway I should be wearing a Cyclechat LS and riding a big yellow Dave Yates...

Thanks for the heads up Frustruck. The hill will be tough, but I'm used to training on a couple of hills that have some 1 in 6 sections. 1 in 7 sustained will be a hard slog though!

Knowing about the descents before hand is good. That reminds me, I think it is time to change the brake blocks!

I'll keep an eye out for you. Weather permitting I should be cycling in my CC SS top on a silver kinesis with a blue helmet. Oh and a red face (I've not done any proper training for the last two weeks due to family stuff!)

:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I don't believe it! The barstewards have gone and added an extra 2 miles on to the route! :hyper::biggrin:

Wish me luck it looks like it might be a wet one! :rolleyes:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Saturday 1st August sees the first ever Rapha Condor Blackpool Sportive, which is set to precede the Rapha Condor Blackpool Nocturne in the evening of the same date. The Rapha Condor pro riders could meet Magnatom face to face and get pictures and autographs. There will be plenty happening at the start HQ along with trade stands by Rapha and Condor. Two main routes of 85 miles with 750m of climbing over calder fell and 58 miles with 250m of climbing. Suit beginners and intermediate sportivers. Over 250 people already signed up.
From Cyclosport latest newsletter !!! :smile: :biggrin: :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Made it. Reasonable time, I think. There is a story to tell. On phone now, will post properly later. ..

OP
OP
M

magnatom

My time is limited and will write more soon, however, in summary here are the interesting 'issues' that I had with the Rapha Condor Sportive.

No timing chips. This was promised in the pre-ride blurb. No personal route map. This was promised in the pre-ride blurb. No pre-ride hospitality worth mentioning. This was promised in the pre-ride blurb.

Route signage was atrocious, I an many others took wrong turns (I managed to correct mine quickly on all occasions). Not the fault of tampering, it was the fault of the organisers. Signs were very hard to see and often confusing. No advanced warning of junctions. On some junctions you had to actually get to the junctions before looking both ways to see a marker further down the road, to work out which way to go.

The first feed station (just before the big climb and one I was hoping to fill my water bottles at) didn't exist. Wasn't there at all. The only feed station was at about 60 miles and consisted of energy drinks, and energy gels. That was it. This was the only food stop. Oh and they put far to much powder in the energy drinks, very sickly.

'Plenty of marshals on the course to keep you right' we were told. Saw three on way out of Blackpool. No others.

On leaving the start we were told due to road works that we would now be cycling 91 miles instead of 85 miles, due to road works. There were no road works. (I measured 88 miles).

On arrival at the finish, welcome was muted. No goody bag, at all. None. Nothing. Nada. If we wanted a sports massage we could pay £5 for it (free on Trossachs Ton).

Oh dear. I don't think I will be doing that one again.

Oh aye, the ride... wet to start with, but not too bad. I started to bonk a bit on the Trough of Bowland (due to lack of drink), and had to stop once on the climb to catch my breath. Annoying as this was easier than my normal climbs. Sun appeared shortly afterwards and remained on the way back (slight sunburn!). But, oh, OH how the wind did blow, and it did blow in our faces all the way home. Ugghhh! Getting closer to home and hitting Lytham was like hitting a wind brick wall. Low gears all the way back to the finish. :tongue:

All things considered my moving time of 5 hours 21 (total time of 5 hours 48) and an average rolling speed of 16.48 wasn't too bad. But it hurt. Almost a Trossachs Ton hurt, but that was more enjoyable....

(P.S the solo feed station was right across from a church, and as I arrived there a bride was waiting outside. Apparently the groom was not amused by all these sweaty cyclists and bikes right outside to welcome his blushing bride. I don't blame him really)

P.P.S. Actually, this ended up long didn't it!:tongue:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Having done a few very poor sportives, I think I know how to look out for the warning signs now and this one had "CAUTION" written all over it. For a start, the website was unhelpful and certainly featured the evening racing as a priority and the sportive almost as an afterthought. Gore do this with their sportives which are very much regarded as the poor cousins of the MTB events held on the same weekend. In other words, us roadies are "tolerated" rather than being the main feature. Also, I think they wanted £29 didn't they? Even if they'd done all they promised, that seemed steep for what you were getting.

devjb

Agree with Magnatoms comments above. I think I rode some of it with you, Did we both take a 'wrong' turn in Fullwood at a badly signed roundabout. Not sure how they could justify £29 for this. Even at £10 the event would have been overpriced and under organised.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

devjb said:
Agree with Magnatoms comments above. I think I rode some of it with you, Did we both take a 'wrong' turn in Fullwood at a badly signed roundabout. Not sure how they could justify £29 for this. Even at £10 the event would have been overpriced and under organised.
Yes we did. Welcome to the forum!

I now appreciate how well organised the Trossachs Ton was! I never thought I would do this, but I think I will complain to the organisers...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh, one more thing. We were promised route maps to take with us on the ride. None were provided. Could they have done anything else wrong!

I will write a complaint. I might just copy it to Rapha and Condor.... see if the sponsors are happy to have their good name tarnished...

devjb

Thanks...

I saw so many cyclechat tops during the ride, thought I would take a look. I think next year I will save myself for the Pendle 100 again. Some of the same route over the Trough Of Bowland, but from the other way. Far better organised and attended.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

devjb said:
Thanks...

I saw so many cyclechat tops during the ride, thought I would take a look. I think next year I will save myself for the Pendle 100 again. Some of the same route over the Trough Of Bowland, but from the other way. Far better organised and attended.

Are you sure you didn't just see me a lot! :birthday: I didn't think anyone else had a cyclechat jersey on, although I could be wrong.

Yes I am pretty sure the Pendle peddle was better organised. I might even consider it myself.

Make sure you hang around here on cyclechat devjb. It's a friendly and informative place. :birthday:

Top Bottom