Rate of heart rate recovery after a 60 mile ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I have just got one of these watch/heart rate monitor things and watched my heart rate after a long (for me) 60 mile run. I see that my heart rate didn't recovery to its normal level for a number of hours after I had finished.

upload_2018-6-9_20-0-40.png

(My ride didn't finish until the end of the red peak - garmin's got it wrong!!)

Its interesting to see how the body takes time to recover...

Ive never kept the HRM on in the house (I usually jump in the shower) but as I am getting fitter again its recovering faster on the 1-2 ride through the park and going back to zone 1:-/ The phones optical sensor (I don't know how accurate it is) says I'm 36% Max HR a few hours and fettling after my ride.

gbb

Legendary Member
Do you normally recover quicker ?
Are you fit anyway ?
Have you felt even slightly under the weather ?

Certainly my 50 mile rides I used to do, hard, I'd just get off the bike and carry on the day, recovery was never a problem, perhaps occasionally something like this kind of ride brings out some ailment you'e unwittingly carrying.
Nowadays for me, a hard 20 mile ride needs a longer recovery...but that's simply because I'm not that fit anymore.

OP
OP
currystomper
It was a longer ride for me, a normal ride is 20 - 25 hilly miles, Not worried about it, just thought it was interesting to see the early recovery effect of a hard ride.

Reactions: gbb

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Yes my graphs look exactly like yours. I lose the chest strap when I get home but my day to day watch has built in hr monitor so I can see it settling over a few hours post ride.
Your body has a lot going on following a 60 mile ride, it's all part of recovery.

gbb

Legendary Member
It was a longer ride for me, a normal ride is 20 - 25 hilly miles, Not worried about it, just thought it was interesting to see the early recovery effect of a hard ride.
There's probably your answer. You'e pushed well beyond what's normal and the body has answered.
All good though, quite normal, as you extend yourself on a regular basis, your body will adapt and recover faster.

mangid

Guru
I've got a VivoSmart HR (twas cheap at the airport), and the HR monitoring is very different to the Garmin HR chest band, so buyer beware. For example yesterday the VivoSmart had me peaking at 188 (I'm 52 years old) on a ride, and the chest band at the same point had me at 158. Not sure what you mean by 'normal', my resting this morning was 48, went out for a 100mile ride and now 90 minutes later it's 75, but I've had some coffee, and lunch so wouldn't expect it to be 'resting'. This is what a work day looks like, 40 mile commute, then a 'recovery' period back down to about 50 (I work in an office). Your graph seems to have a fair bit of movement after the ride, so shouldn't your heart be working a bit ? What does the graph look like during a normal day if you haven't gone for a ride (I don't have any of those ...)

upload_2018-6-10_13-32-32.png

mgs315

Seems pretty normal to me. My HR is always a bit elevated for a few hours after a particularly hard ride. I guess it’s the body doing what it needs to recover.

Tin Pot

Guru
I wouldn’t try to read too much into HR.

The only important bit really is how long it takes to come down from your exertion level in the minutes after you’ve stopped.

What your “normal” heart rate is will vary as you stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, eat, watch TV, drive a car.

Your resting heart rate is what it beats at in your sleep.

Top Bottom