Rate this 1997 Toyota sports car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think 99.9% of X1/9s have returned to iron ore by now.

Japanese cars are what you want for reliability but (possibly because they don't salt roads much in winter or, more likely, because the shaken* inspection means it's uneconomical to keep older cars on the road) they don't tend to be very well protected against rust. It's what finishes off most Mazda MX-5s, even those made since 2005.

*my MX-5 has a shaken disc in it, bought from eBay for a laugh to fill the hole in the tax disc holder after tax discs were abolished.

Gunk

Guru
I think 99.9% of X1/9s have returned to iron ore by now.

Back in 1986 I owned an 1980 1500 X19 and it was completely rotten back then. Could you imagine buying a 2016 car now that‘s rusty.

identical to this one, complete with half cloth white vinyl seats. Mine would definitely have been a pile of iron ore years ago!

IMG_0839.jpeg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
IMO BMW are the worst, I‘ve owned every 3 series touring since 1990 and they have got progressively worse for reliability, my current F30 330d touring is a great car spoilt by iffy build quality and irritating problems. Our 8 year old Golf GTD however has been virtually faultless, as good as any Japanese car.
I've only had one BMW, an E65 7 series my first Missus bought for me in the early 00's when it came out (a director for a large electronics firm couldn't have a husband running a scruffy Peugeout, even though I was quite happy to do so.)

It was a lovely car, but had a persistent central locking and alarm fault that was not resolved in 3 visits to the dealer. Unacceptable in a car that cost 60 grand back then.

The good news is I left her and sold it and my 1971 P6 V8 and that paid for my divorce, gave me enough cash to buy another scruffy Peugeot, and a few shekels to help me start out all over again.

For all the reliability talk, I've had double digit Peugeots and not had a problem with any of them, with one exceeding 300k miles reliably. That said I've always bought very carefully and maintained them within and inch of their lives. I do chuckle when people buy a car, start running it on budget tyres and taking it to Bombsite Motors for servicing, and then wonder why they have problems. There comes a point where the balance tips and attempts to save cash on such things can work out quite expensive.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
On the subject of Toyota sports cars, I saw a soft top Celica (late '80s model) today. I never even knew they made one.

Gunk

Guru
Isn't there a kit you can buy?

Not any more

Jameshow

Veteran
Ye
I've only had one BMW, an E65 7 series my first Missus bought for me in the early 00's when it came out (a director for a large electronics firm couldn't have a husband running a scruffy Peugeout, even though I was quite happy to do so.)

It was a lovely car, but had a persistent central locking and alarm fault that was not resolved in 3 visits to the dealer. Unacceptable in a car that cost 60 grand back then.

The good news is I left her and sold it and my 1971 P6 V8 and that paid for my divorce, gave me enough cash to buy another scruffy Peugeot, and a few shekels to help me start out all over again.

For all the reliability talk, I've had double digit Peugeots and not had a problem with any of them, with one exceeding 300k miles reliably. That said I've always bought very carefully and maintained them within and inch of their lives. I do chuckle when people buy a car, start running it on budget tyres and taking it to Bombsite Motors for servicing, and then wonder why they have problems. There comes a point where the balance tips and attempts to save cash on such things can work out quite expensive.

Yeap like bikes reliability is dependent upon servicing...

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You'll have to be careful your monocle doesn't roll under the seat, mind...

I took one yesterday. A big BMW, probably automatic gearbox and diesel, which made the job even easier! There we were, him in the left lane, me in the right at traffic lights. He set of at a fair pace, but I took him doing 60 in a 50 mph zone. It's a dual carriageway with no pavement, so no vulnerable pedestrians were harmed. He saw me and accelerated, but his beamer seemed to cough and splutter and gave up the chase. 🧐

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
My friend had a top of the range 2001 Celica and it was her pride and joy. I never really liked it as a piece of styling but there's no doubt it was a fine car to drive. I can definitely see why she liked it.

Top Bottom