Rate this 1997 Toyota sports car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Golf caught fire and burned itself to a crisp. My sisters SEAT had an engine bay fire and was, sadly to her mind, repaired by the insurers. The supposed "quality" brands are mainly a myth of urban legend and clever marketing.

That's 3 cars mentioned in this thread so far that have set fire to themselves and all Volkswagen group cars.

That said statistically they are known for being very unreliable and expensive to repair nowadays but its surprising how many people think they are a reliable brand when they are one of the worst for normal family cars.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210430103028/https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All stems from reputation of the brand. People tend to think of VW being reliable because of the old Beetle.
Likewise look how Skoda took years to shake off their terrible image and all those jokes. A VW now so maybe on the way down again.

Drago

Legendary Member
In the case of my sisters SEAT it had suffered several months of ABS warning lights and the like before trying to slash its own wrists. My Golf's fire started un the dashboard, and in evening rush hour traffic it took Trumpton too long to get there. Just as well because I wouldn't have wanted it back! Both were bought because to this day my Mum can buy one Volkswagen Group car a year at cost price, so for each of us it was a cheap way into a new motor.

My mum was a director for the old importer, VAG, and she always said it was nothing more than clever marketing. Back then they even deliberately controlled the amount of new cars they sold, and cornered the market in near new used ones by letting staff lease them for pennies, in order to control the used value, and thus further enhance the image.

VW even went as far as tuning the doors to make a nice 'clunk', and thus satisfy the old wives tales about that being a sign of quality - Volvo doors go clunk because they're big heavy old things. VW ones do so because they were deliberately engineered to make a particular sound, and for no other reason. It's a trick, and people are daft enough to fall for it.

Even funnier is people referring to them as VAG. VAG were the importer, owned by Lohnro, not the manufacturer. VAG folded in 1992 when VW-Audi Group, as they were then, decided to set up their own import operation as a manufacturer rather than contract it to anyone else.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Didn't realise. Think that was a good car too.
I had one. Very light (660kg!), incredibly simple. Nothing electronic anywhere except the stereo. Didn't bother with roadside recovery as anything could be fixed with simple tools, not that it ever broke down.

I have fond memories of setting the ignition timing after changing the points, using the time-honoured method of repeatedly driving up a steep hill in 3rd gear and rotating the dizzy until the pinking just stopped.

It beat the claimed mpg figure but used as much petrol than my current CX-5, which is a full tonne heavier and has an engine twice the size, with three times the power. That's progress!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh I think the German brands that everyone equates with quality (VAG, BMW, Merc.) legitimately earned this reputation throughout the '80s, however it all fell apart in the '90s but the brands still manage to perpetuate this image through marketing..

Jameshow

Veteran
In the case of my sisters SEAT it had suffered several months of ABS warning lights and the like before trying to slash its own wrists. My Golf's fire started un the dashboard, and in evening rush hour traffic it took Trumpton too long to get there. Just as well because I wouldn't have wanted it back! Both were bought because to this day my Mum can buy one Volkswagen Group car a year at cost price, so for each of us it was a cheap way into a new motor.

My mum was a director for the old importer, VAG, and she always said it was nothing more than clever marketing. Back then they even deliberately controlled the amount of new cars they sold, and cornered the market in near new used ones by letting staff lease them for pennies, in order to control the used value, and thus further enhance the image.

VW even went as far as tuning the doors to make a nice 'clunk', and thus satisfy the old wives tales about that being a sign of quality - Volvo doors go clunk because they're big heavy old things. VW ones do so because they were deliberately engineered to make a particular sound, and for no other reason. It's a trick, and people are daft enough to fall for it.

Even funnier is people referring to them as VAG. VAG were the importer, owned by Lohnro, not the manufacturer. VAG folded in 1992 when VW-Audi Group, as they were then, decided to set up their own import operation as a manufacturer rather than contract it to anyone else.

Well the two VW we gave had have been excellent.

02 polo we didn't do anything with apart from a cracked tyre.

12 carvelle only had a battery (motor step/lift prob caused this) and a egr valve.

Oh and another problem the bonnet catch had gummed shut trough lack of use!!

Taxi drivers have been using Skoda tdi for the post 2 decades only replaced by electric!

You can drive a Jap mobiles if you like takeaway tub build quality!!

Anyway back to cycling 60 done 20 to go!!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You'd do them anywhere with a speed bump Accy :smile:

You'll have to be careful your monocle doesn't roll under the seat, mind..
I'd simply humiliate them, leaving them wondering what they'd spent their many thousands on!! 🧐 🧐 🧐

Edit...Giving them a two fingered salute through my sunroof as I left them behind! 🧐

Last edited:
I think I'd take that in my Fiat 500, if in a heavy traffic, tactical 'race'. 🤔 🧐

Nope, wouldn't work. The sound waves coming out of that exhaust, even at tickover, will vibrate everything else to pieces.

When it's on song, it's one of the best noises ever. A bit like the V12 jag, but more of a bass note. Although a V10 peugeot will make your ears bleed...

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad had a Lancia Monte Carlo in the 70s. But for internal group politics could so easily have been the X1/9 replacement, and would have benefitted from FIATs resources in development.

Gunk

Guru
Tbh I think the German brands that everyone equates with quality (VAG, BMW, Merc.) legitimately earned this reputation throughout the '80s, however it all fell apart in the '90s but the brands still manage to perpetuate this image through marketing..

IMO BMW are the worst, I‘ve owned every 3 series touring since 1990 and they have got progressively worse for reliability, my current F30 330d touring is a great car spoilt by iffy build quality and irritating problems. Our 8 year old Golf GTD however has been virtually faultless, as good as any Japanese car.

Top Bottom