Rate this 1997 Toyota sports car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's a 1997 UK spec car in a lovely colour with the T-Tops which WILL leak so you have to use a softening compound for the rubber seals; the water still comes in but not as much so ensure the AC is working.

Don't let this put you off but the engine comes from a Corolla of similar vintage. Handling on the early 1990-1991 cars was truly awful. The 1992-1993 was much better and even better on post 1994 ones. Mine was newer at the time I got it so idk about long term reliability but I'd imagine it to be pretty darn good. Try not to get a modified one although it's nice to have fresh suspension.

Japanese sports cars seem to come out during the summer months. It's not really fast by 1997 standards but pretty quick enough. I regularly beat more powerful FWD cars at the traffic lights coz the engine's in the middle and has RWD.

I was a slow driver and in the MR2 club, my gf got bored and said I should join the fast group. She soon regretted that as she as I slammed on the brakes and she opened the door and was sick, just in time.

I think there's two types of MR2 owner, those who neglect their cars and those who look after them. If you wanna get one, do the usual checks, RAC check and all that.

Good luck with your hunt whatever you get! Oh, and it'll suit you. :okay:

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'll just say I'm the opposite of people on this thread.

Mk2 is a great looking car although they liked doing 180's when you were least expecting. Really needed a turbo like the Jap imports.

The 180 thing was on 1990:1991 cars.

Yeah the turbo was good and had a small air scoop near the roof plus raised bonnet vents. No leather interior on Japanese models though.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Unless you've got a PhD in advanced welding I'd give those old Jap motors a miss @Accy cyclist

And those Figaros are automatic, not manual.:thumbsdown: To me, automatics should be big cumbersome cars, like 'the mayoral limo', not little cars. I've only ever driven one small automatic car and that was one of those Dafs, in the late 1970's.

compress&fill=blur&fit=fillmax&h=225&ixlib=php-4.1.jpg

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
And those Figaros are automatic, not manual.:thumbsdown: To me, automatics should be big cumbersome cars, like 'the mayoral limo', not little cars. I've only ever driven one small automatic car and that was one of those Dafs, in the late 1970's.

View attachment 691554

I had a Honda Legend 3.5 v6 once, lovely drive. That was Auto, but holy hell was it thirsty. I've also owned a Jaguar TWR XJR straight 6 and i can honestly say, there wasn't much difference in the thirst of it.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I want one of these....

Think they're based on a K11 Micra. Had a couple of those, they're the most reliable cars I've owned, and you have to rev the 1.0 quite alot, but they just don't break if serviced. Rust is the killer though. Think the Figaro maybe has a turbo though. Quite like them to be honest, don't really know why.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Think they're based on a K11 Micra. Had a couple of those, they're the most reliable cars I've owned, and you have to rev the 1.0 quite alot, but they just don't break if serviced. Rust is the killer though. Think the Figaro maybe has a turbo though. Quite like them to be honest, don't really know why.
They're actually based on the older K10 Micra, although the Figaro was on sale at the same time as the K11 Micra.

Top Bottom