Rate this 1997 Toyota sports car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
In my experience sporty Toyotas are good, reliable, family cars given a sporty look at the expense of a bit of quality, reliability and family-friendly space. In other words, the brand with all its virtues compromised. If you want to go sporty then buy an Alfa, a Lotus, a Lancia Zagato or a Subaru Impreza. The look can come cheap but the feel has its price.

I don't see the point of these well made Japanese budget sports cars, they are built to high engineering tolerances so there is less to fettle and you don't have the excitement of a small risk of the car bursting into flames like a Ferrari. Real sports cars should have poor reliability and bits falling off occasionally plus have mot failure lists as long as your arm. They should be like a huge money pit in the ground that you throw your hard earned dosh into in the hope of being able to drive the car in a few days it shouldn't just be on the driveway always ready to drive. Where is the adventure of just going for a long drive and then coming home again. Every third drive you should be coming back in the cab of a rescue truck with your sports car on the back of it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Would of thought one of these would be more up Accys street:

Triumph_1800_roadster_FR.jpg

Triumph Roadster 1949.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
In my experience sporty Toyotas are good, reliable, family cars given a sporty look at the expense of a bit of quality, reliability and family-friendly space. In other words, the brand with all its virtues compromised. If you want to go sporty then buy an Alfa, a Lotus, a Lancia Zagato or a Subaru Impreza. The look can come cheap but the feel has its price.

Tvr!

midlife

Guru
I don't see the point of these well made Japanese budget sports cars, they are built to high engineering tolerances so there is less to fettle and you don't have the excitement of a small risk of the car bursting into flames like a Ferrari. Real sports cars should have poor reliability and bits falling off occasionally plus have mot failure lists as long as your arm. They should be like a huge money pit in the ground that you throw your hard earned dosh into in the hope of being able to drive the car in a few days it shouldn't just be on the driveway always ready to drive. Where is the adventure of just going for a long drive and then coming home again. Every third drive you should be coming back in the cab of a rescue truck with your sports car on the back of it.

De Tomaso Pantera :smile:. Elvis shot his lol

tyred

Legendary Member

You don't need a Ferrari for that experience. I got it with a Skoda Fabia.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I want one of these....

Or one of these....

Mmm, there's one here for sale and it's less than 4 grand. 🤔
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=autouncle_web

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One here even cheaper and near to home, not hundreds of miles away!🤔

nissan_figaro_1_l.jpg

https://www.desperateseller.co.uk/c...00?utm_source=autouncle&au_advert_id=57161730

'Grey finish. FK10. nice easy running project for the classic car/figaro enthusiasts.. drives very well but could do with light bodywork repairs, we are selling the car as a project and it is priced accordingly. few spare parts and sill covers etc are with the car, if no interest as is then the vehicle will be put through our workshops and then be retail ready and be a considerable amount more. please call paul for any further information. . . Click here to check this car's history. We are in LancashireFeel free to email us'

Ah, it's a 'project car'. My idea of a project car is one that needs Fairy Liquid adding to the wiper washer bottle and the tyres need blowing up!! :whistle:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Id rather be waiting in the rain for a bus than snug, dry and warm driving a Fignogo.

I'm not quite sure what type of classic car enthusiast the seller thinks would be interested in that. A blind one, perhaps?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Id rather be waiting in the rain for a bus than snug, dry and warm driving a Fignogo.

I'm not quite sure what type of classic car enthusiast the seller thinks would be interested in that. A blind one, perhaps?

They have potential rust bucket problems, according to this 'enthusiast' couple.

Looking at Figaros, the roof is very Fiat 500 Cabriolet, or should I say the Fiat 500C's roof is very Figaro(ish) as the Figaro came first. Both cars are quite similar in retro appeal with their cream interiors (well my Fiat is, though not all are), though the Figaro in my opinion with the few made and remaining could be classed as retro, retro as they were made to look retro 1950's, over 30 years ago which itself is now 'retro'.:wacko:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
My Golf caught fire and burned itself to a crisp. My sisters SEAT had an engine bay fire and was, sadly to her mind, repaired by the insurers. The supposed "quality" brands are mainly a myth of urban legend and clever marketing.

Nibor

Bewildered

A kei car enthusiast?

Top Bottom