Rate this car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Tell him to get his own jump leads
To be fair to him he did come out with his 'heavy duty' jump leads last year/winter quite a few times to get my car going, but he's one of those who does something with an add on 'you now owe me'.🤔

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On about batteries and my jump starter thingy in particular, last night a friend sent me a text asking if he could borrow my jump starter. This is the 'friend' who asked me to lend him £1000 a year ago,resulting in him getting quite aggressive when I said no. In his text he said he was coming round for it. I immediately replied 'sorry I'm out, I'll come round to yours asap with it (then take it back after jump starting)'. My thoughts were I 'lend it to him and I'll never see it again'! When I got there it turned out he wanted the jump starter to charge his camper van battery overnight, before going away for a short holiday. I fobbed him off saying it doesn't charge batteries, only jump starts them. Maybe it does charge batteries, but no way was I leaving it with this borrow and don't pay/hand back merchant!!:stop: If I'd left it with him he'd most likely take it with him and knacker it up.:thumbsdown:

They only jump start batteries. Not suitable for charging.

Finally you got a new battery. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So let me get this right. You carry a spare battery in your car, that's connected to your 'main battery', but it can't be drained by anything but the ignition. In theory the spare battery will have an almost full charge and it will fire up the ignition system when the main battery fails. What happens if the zero temperature affects the back up battery stopping it from firing up the car, regardless of how much charge it's supposed to have? Surely it's better to keep a battery (in a jump starter) and keep it way above freezing and it won't let you down? 🤔 When I had my bad starter in the very cold diesel VW Golf I took the battery out and put it on charge in my house overnight when zero temps were forecast, keeping it away from those zero temperatures. I can't do that now, so a jump starter ( so much easier for me) replaces that often in winter ritual.
this is worth a watch for tesla silliness :smile:
https://insideevs.com/news/507029/james-may-tesla-model-s/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If I'd lent it to him he'd have tried to charge his battery and probably knackered up my jump starter, then handed it back saying summat like "It was knackered when I plugged it in, don't blame me"!

Never a lender or a borrower be! :angel:

Tell me about it. My son did some jobs around his mates house, but borrowed about £500 of my tools (didn't ask). I've yet to get them back after asking for THREE months. Son is at the guys house at weekend so I'm expecting them back pronto.

Top Bottom