Rate this car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, as suggested in another recent thread, have you considered a Fordson Dexta?
View attachment 616964

Wind in the hair motoring, excellent all-round visibility, well proven reliability record over many decades, economical and reliable 3-cylinder Perkins diesel, six speed gearbox and plenty of low-down torque to pull your doggy pram. You could modify it to go on the three point linkage:okay:
Yes, but where's the seat belt and airbags?🤔

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Accy, as suggested in another recent thread, have you considered a Fordson Dexta?
View attachment 616964

Wind in the hair motoring, excellent all-round visibility, well proven reliability record over many decades, economical and reliable 3-cylinder Perkins diesel, six speed gearbox and plenty of low-down torque to pull your doggy pram. You could modify it to go on the three point linkage:okay:
Perhaps worryingly I find myself looking at that picture and thinking 'Nice'! :eek:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My car hasn't been run since Sunday afternoon. Sunday night we had a fair old frost. I tried to fire it up a while ago and as expected...as flat as a pancake! This is it I thought! Now is the moment I've been looking forward too and kind of fearing. Will my new jump start thingy work or will it be a flop? I connected it apprehensively, put the key in the ignition, waited till the glow plug red light went out, did it again then turned the key. YEEESSSSS, it fecking worked!!!!:wahhey:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Im surprised Accy that you dont have a car with a crank handle. I can imagine you trying to crank it on a frosty morning, plus fours, mark 8 goggles atop back to front cloth cap...
If only!! That'd be so damn good!!!!🧐

1637697046401.png

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm thinking now of putting a card in my window. 🤔

If your battery is flat, call me and I'll fire it up for a tenner!!

Are you still using that knackered battery we told you to change ages ago ?

cheys03

Veteran
Forgive me if you appreciate this already. The battery is tested most when trying to start a cold car. It’s hard work to turn over a cold engine using the starter, and the battery chemistry does not perform as well when cold - ‘double whammy’

Assume the battery is good but something is draining it. Three factors will affect whether or not the car will start when tried 1) the length of time since it was last given a good run 2) the demand put on the battery when starting; how cold it is

It’s fairly easy to rule out, provided there are no problems caused by disconnecting the battery, radios etc.

I’m not an expert but I would have a go by putting an ammeter in the circuit at the battery, checking for drain and if present, pull fuses until it changed.

or

Give the car a good drive. Disconnect the battery, ruling out any possibility of a drain. Leave for a week. On a cold morning, reconnect the battery and try to start.

You can measure the voltage before/after too to add weight to the tests

Top Bottom